When is R3000 End of Life?

We have been using the R3000 in the form of the RCM3315 for almost 20 years. It has served us well. But like all good things they come to an end at some point. For quite a while the R3000 product line has been listed as NRND. So at some point, they will stop making it. Can someone, particularly from Digi, provide some insight? I tried asking through the Digi website but they punted the email to a distributor who had no helpful information. (not the distributor’s fault, it is a question only Digi can answer.)

We are in the process of engineering an STM32 based module so we can use our existing main board design but with the IC shortage, we are looking at 2023 before we can be in production.

Skeller, that is a question that is best answered by your Digi Sales Account manager. Please reach out to the Digi Sales team as they are responsible for ALL product availability questions.

I checked in with the Product Manager for the Rabbit products and he said Digi intends to manufacture it until at least 2026.

2 Likes

@TomCollins, thanks for getting an answer. It would be nice if that kind of information was already published but I understand statements regarding future plans can be a double-edged sword. I appreciate the info that relieves my stress a little. :wink: If we still can’t get new microcontrollers by 2026 I think we will probably be having bigger issues to worry about. :slight_smile:

When Digi decides to EOL the Rabbit 3000, there could be still another possibility: another manufacturer could start making a compatible replacement.

However, I consider that unlikely, since such a replacement would be competing with the Rabbit 4000, which can be run in Rabbit 3000 mode for compability.

1 Like

I guess that is possible but I see it as unlikely and not something I can plan on. The R3000 is a great processor in its day but it is eclipsed in almost every feature and at a lower cost with the newer processors. If we can make it through this global supply issue we should be able to make the switch to our new STM32 based core module that we have in development.