Simulate XBee nodes

Hello,

I have 2 XBee ZB Series 2 and with the following setup:

• Coordinator API
  • Router API
  • Both connected to PC

Behind the router, I would like to simulate (via software) more nodes like a couple of End Devices. The idea is to send joining requests or announcements in order to publish that new nodes have entered into network and others could reach them through the Router.

However, I am not sure if this would be possible using XBee’s commands. As far as I can see, joining request and management are done at firmware level.

With all in mind, my questions are:

• Is it possible to create announcement messages from API level? Maybe a clever usage of Node Identificator Indication and Create Source Route messages?

• If not, is there a way to do so? Maybe buying other hardware?

Thanks,
cleto.

If you enable the JN parameter, every time a node Joins, it will send out an API frame from the coordinator.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I see that JN parameter may be really useful for knowing which node has joined to the network.

However, my target is create a simulated node and, by using a real XBee, generate a joining request for that simulated node as it happens seamlessly for real ones. The idea is to have simulated devices connected to a real XBee router and this router will act as a gateway for simulated ones.

Does it make sense?

Yes I understand completely. However for that to work, a custom version of firmware would be required to allow for the simulated data to be received via the UART instead of the RF port and act as RF traffic.

Yeah, exactly. It would be a kind of what happens on top of the network layer when you use AO=3. All application messages (including ZDO messages) are sent through UART port.I’m afraid the only way to do this but on top of link layer is just customizing the firmware and AFAIK it is not possible, is it?.

No, it is not possible to do what you want without creating a completely custom code and even then it may not work.