System topology

Hello,

I am currently involved in a project that requires 400 temperature and humidity sensors to be spread in specific area. We have purchased the ‘‘X4 starter kit’’ and started doing some testing trying to understand how to build such a project and how the ZigBee technology works in general.
What should be the architecture of the network to support such a number of sensors.
We would prefer to use a single coordinator and as many as required routers that will be equipped with humidity and temperature sensors as well.
What are the limitations for the routers and coordinator?

Are your nodes AC powered or battery powered?

Battery-powered units are NOT part of the Zigbee mesh, but instead hang in a hub design off a selected parent. So each 8 to 10 sleeping/battery units require an AC-powered parent to act as parent/mesh link for them.

400 units will expose radio issues to you, and be challenging. Splitting things up into multiple PAN and multiple coordinators would be helpful. My personal experience says anything above 100 nodes becomes challenging - but I have seen people with a 1000 nodes who spend the time to bypass the issues.

My sensors are battery powered and will be used to measure temperature, humidity and light. Do you suggest that every 8 to 10 sensors a router should be used? The router will be ac powered. Where can I find a diagram that would suggest a possible configuration for a setup of approximately 400 sensors?