dual camera capture and compression with i.MX53 kit

Hello,

The following gstreamer command from CSI0 works perfectly:

gst-launch -e mfw_v4lsrc device=/dev/video0 num-buffers=300 ! ‘video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1,format=(fourcc)UYVY’ ! mfw_ipucsc ! ‘video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1,format=(fourcc)I420’ ! queue max-size-time=0 ! mfw_vpuencoder codec-type=2 ! queue ! matroskamux ! filesink location=/opt/test.mkv

This one from CSI1 works perfectly too:
gst-launch -e mfw_v4lsrc device=/dev/video1 num-buffers=300 ! ‘video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1,format=(fourcc)UYVY’ ! mfw_ipucsc ! ‘video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1,format=(fourcc)I420’ ! queue max-size-time=0 ! mfw_vpuencoder codec-type=2 ! queue ! matroskamux ! filesink location=/opt/test2.mkv

But, if I try to run them simultaneously e.g. :

gst-launch -e mfw_v4lsrc device=/dev/video0 num-buffers=300 ! ‘video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1,format=(fourcc)UYVY’ ! mfw_ipucsc ! ‘video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1,format=(fourcc)I420’ ! queue max-size-time=0 ! mfw_vpuencoder codec-type=2 ! queue ! matroskamux ! filesink location=/opt/test.mkv &
gst-launch -e mfw_v4lsrc device=/dev/video1 num-buffers=300 ! ‘video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1,format=(fourcc)UYVY’ ! mfw_ipucsc ! ‘video/x-raw-yuv,width=640,height=480,framerate=15/1,format=(fourcc)I420’ ! queue max-size-time=0 ! mfw_vpuencoder codec-type=2 ! queue ! matroskamux ! filesink location=/opt/test2.mkv &

what I get are many:

“mxc_ipu_hl_lib.c:956 ipu is busy”

errors and two problematic video file.

Is there any limitation about doing that? If so, is there any workaround or patch fixing this problem?

By the way, the required resistor rework for sync signals is already done.

Best regards,

iMX53, has only one IPU. On the MX53, the only supported configuration is capture on one camera and live preview on the second. This is due to a limited availability of hardware resources in the IPU to do simultaneous capturing.

What about i.MX6? We plan to upgrade our CPU to it in near future.

The i.MX6 based ConnectCore 6 module has two IPUs and supports simultaneous capture from two cameras. Software wise, dual camera support is scheduled to be supported on Digi Embedded Yocto 1.7 (scheduled end of year)

The i.MX6 has two IPUs and supports simultaneous capture from two cameras. Sony, iPhone, Samsung and some of the other smartphone have two camera features. And this feature is most important for any smartphone users.
https://babasupport.org/apple/itunes-tech-support-number/309