Help with driver build on Linux core - fixdep is core dumping during build

I have downloaded the dgrp-1.9 driver package (4000286_S) to build on Linux kernel version 2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.i686. When I try to build it, I get a core dump from the fixdep script. What is wrong with my environment?

/bin/sh: line 1: 17249 Bus error (core dumped) scripts/basic/fixdep /home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/build/.dgrp_common.o.d /home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/build/dgrp_common.o ‘gcc -Wp,-MD,/home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/build/.dgrp_common.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i686-redhat-linux/4.4.7/include -Iinclude -I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.i686/include/uapi -I/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.i686/arch/x86/include -include /usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.i686/include/linux/kconfig.h -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SECTIONS=1 -DCONFIG_AS_AVX=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Wframe-larger-than=1024 -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -fomit-frame-pointer -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -fconserve-stack -I/home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/2.6.27 -I/home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/2.6.27/include -I/home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/2.6.27/…/…/commoninc -DDIGI_VERSION="“1.9-31"" -DDGRP_TRACER -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s” -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(dgrp_common)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(dgrp)" -D"DEBUG_HASH=17" -D"DEBUG_HASH2=6" -c -o /home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/build/.tmp_dgrp_common.o /home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/build/dgrp_common.c’ > /home/ksummers/lbc/Downloads/digi/dgrp-1.9/driver/build/.dgrp_common.o.tmp

Don’t see the failing portion. Can you try the following procedure and post the resulting typescript?

http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl?id=3514

The failing portion was the first line of the above after my question:

/bin/sh: line 1: 17249 Bus error (core dumped) scripts/basic/fixdep …

I have since tried the procedure on a new machine (the target machine) and do not see the problem.

BTW, I tried to look at the core file and it had no symbols. When I re-compiled fixdep with symbols the problem went away (of course!)