How to request remote xbee to send packet back?

Currently I have 2 xbee series 2 (S2CTH). I connect one with Arduino Uno and set as Coordinator in API mode. Another one sets as end device in API mode, just put on Dongle and connect to computer. I would like to get RSSI and I understand that for series 2, I cannot get RSSI value directly so I use the firmware of series 1 instead. When I send packet using XCTU from end device and using below code, upload via Arduino IDE to Coordinator, I can receive RSSI value as I want. However, my question is “Can I send any code from coordinator to request end device to send back packet so that I can use below code to receive RSSI without end device sending packet from XCTU?”

I’m not sure what frame type I should use for this case. And what should I set to be mode for end device, Transparent Mode or API Mode?

#include
#include

// XBee’s DOUT (TX) is connected to pin 8 (Arduino’s Software RX)
// XBee’s DIN (RX) is connected to pin 9 (Arduino’s Software TX)
SoftwareSerial serial1(8, 9); // RX, TX

XBee xbee=XBee();
XBeeResponse response = XBeeResponse();
Rx16Response rx16 = Rx16Response();
Rx64Response rx64 = Rx64Response();

uint8_t option = 0;
uint8_t data = 0;
uint8_t rssi = 0;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
serial1.begin(9600);
xbee.setSerial(serial1);

}

void loop()
{
xbee.readPacket(1000);
if (xbee.getResponse().isAvailable())
{
Serial.println(“available”);
if(xbee.getResponse().getApiId() == RX_64_RESPONSE || xbee.getResponse().getApiId() == RX_16_RESPONSE)
{
if (xbee.getResponse().getApiId() == RX_16_RESPONSE)
{
xbee.getResponse().getRx16Response(rx16);
option = rx16.getOption();
data = rx16.getData(0);
rssi = rx16.getRssi();
//Serial.print("data: ");Serial.println(data);
//Serial.print("option: ");Serial.println(option);
Serial.println(rssi);
}
else
{
// Serial.println(“64”);
xbee.getResponse().getRx64Response(rx64);
option = rx64.getOption();
data = rx64.getData(0);
rssi = rx64.getRssi();
Serial.println(rssi);
}
}
}
}

You can try to use a remote AT command (0x17) frame to issue the DB command. That should allow you to read back the RSSI value of this remote AT command.

Hi…

I have tried to use the remote AT Mode command (0x17) for coordinator. But I still not understand how the coordinator can get the packet received by End Devices.
Could you explain in detail?
Thank you very much.

That is not something that really can be or should be answered on a Support forum. If you are not understanding a concept, then it would be better for you to contact Digi Support either via email or from the web site.

Hi, can you post the connection between Arduino and XBee, please?