Accelport RAS/8 what exactly is it?

As I am not really familiar with this type of hardware, can someone please explain if a multi-modem adapter contains embedded modems or just ports that you use to connect your modems to? In case of the later, do all modems have to be of the same main characteristics (transmission speed etc). I plan to use the Accelport adapter in cooperation with the Windows 2003 Fax service for outbound faxing purposes only. Does anyone have any similar experience? I hope that I can configure the Fax Service to use the multi-modem as one modem device and hopefully the hardware can transmit faxes in parallel. Also I would like to configure the card only for dial-out purposes. Will this work? Thanx for your time

The Acceleport RAS card is a PCI card which contains either 4 or 8 V.90 asyncronous modems on it. It is basically an all-in-one serial card/modem solution. For more info, I refer you to the information page for that product: http://www.digi.com/products/multimodemadapters/acceleportrasfamily.jsp

OS would see eight different modems. Call routing would be handled by your application

As I underastand it you plug phone lines directly in the card. But is the number of modems transparent to the application using the card? In other words, does the Operating System see the card as a SINGLE modem, and the hardware (or firmware) routes an outgoing call to the next available modem?

Thanx for your time.