Communication between multiple XBee to one at PC via serial port

Dear all,
Can I use 6 individual Xbee Serie 1 (XB24-API-001) to talk to 1 Xbee attached to a PC.
The each of 6 Xbees will have 3 momentary switches (button’s) attached to it. When a button is pressed I need to read that info on the PC (USB) serial port via the Xbee.
Will this work with the module’s I chose (XB24-API-001) ?

Please advice and thanks!
Catalin

1 Like

Yes it will. Just use API mode and the addressing functions along with the DIO line passing functions and you will be able to get the data.

2 Likes

Thanks! for the reply,
Will you please describe more the setup you have in mind, since I am a very beginner it is hard for me to develop on your above infos.
I set up the API mode for both modules but how do I use the ( addressing functions along with the DIO line passing functions) ?

Regards,
Catalin

Start with http://knowledge.digi.com/articles/Knowledge_Base_Article/XBee-802-15-4-Digital-Input-Output-Line-Passing/

Then look at http://knowledge.digi.com/articles/Knowledge_Base_Article/XBee-802-15-4-Addressing/

I would also strongly suggest reading over the product manual for the module before you do anything at all.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice,
I have set up the Communicator in API [1] mode and the End point in AT mode; but I have a strange phenomenon : the module are in sync for a few sec. (4s or 5s, and I see the comport getting data packets) but after that the communication is interrupted … Also I have one button on DIO4 with a resistor of 10kOhm on the Ground.

Here is the config on both modules
Coordinator settings
CE Coordinator enable - Coordinator [1]
AP API Enable - API enabled [1]
ID PAN ID - 17

End point settings
AT mode - default
ID PAN ID - 17
D4 DIO4 Configuration - DI [3] (digital input)
IR Sample rate - 3E8 (for 1000 ms. = 1s)

So why the sync stops after a few sec.? any help please …

Sorry for my previous post, I made a mistake on the wiring of the button to the pin DIO4.
Now it works as expected :slight_smile:
Thanks!