Compiling 3rd Party Software with Digi-EL environment

For Digi-EL, are there any how-to’s or examples out there to describe compiling third party packages into a RootFS image?

Google is failing me. :stuck_out_tongue:

(example is I want to include ‘screen’ in my build which normally comes using automake/configure scripts)

Thanks,

-Ben

if you just want to test something, you install SDK for your platform, run the environment setup script, then cross-compile and manually deploy to target’s rootfs (ftp/scp).
Once you have everything working you can incorporate the app into your own yocto layer

Thanks for the quick reply, Leonid.

I’m using Digi-EL 5.7 (no yocto) on a ConnectCore 2443.

So Digi-EL (5.7) installs it’s build environment through it’s modified Eclipse.

So when you say “SDK” are you speaking of Digi-EL or something I’m compiling in and sending to the target and then running this compile process on the target itself?

let me know a little more if you could,

Thanks(!),

-Ben

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I hope you are not using cc9m2443 for new development as it is very old and EOL for years.
Below is generic example of cross-compiling open-source library and application for DEL:
this example involves library and application – if you only have an application skip libpcap part
If architecture is Arm9/Arm11 (ns9215, ns9210, imx28, cc9m2443…)

DEL 5.7:
export PATH=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.7/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/bin:$PATH
export TOOLCHAIN_DIR=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.7/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi/

DEL 5.9:

export PATH=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH
export TOOLCHAIN_DIR=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/

if architecture is Cortex-A8 (i.mx5x)
export PATH=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH
export TOOLCHAIN_DIR=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi/

wget http://www.tcpdump.org/release/tcpdump-4.3.0.tar.gz
wget http://www.tcpdump.org/release/libpcap-1.3.0.tar.gz

tar xvfz libpcap-1.3.0.tar.gz

cd libpcap-1.3.0/

DEL 5.7:
CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.7/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-uclibcgnueabi --with-pcap=linux

DEL 5.9:

CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi --with-pcap=linux
Or
CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi --with-pcap=linux
make CC=arm-linux-gcc
make install

cd …
tar xvfz tcpdump-4.3.0.tar.gz
cd tcpdump-4.3.0/
vi configure
Find in configure and change ac_cv_linux_vers=unknown to ac_cv_linux_vers=2

CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
Or
CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/ arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi

make CC=arm-linux-gcc
make install

Thanks for the answer Leonid.

Unfortunately, this is ongoing support for a legacy product. So the fact that the 2443 is EOL and out of date doesn’t help that I have to add ‘screen’ for a current product. (sadly)

However, I’ll see about trying what you’ve supplied – it looks about like what I need to know.

Thanks a whole bunch,

-Ben