Gstreamer on ConnectCard for i.mx28

Does the ConnectCard for i.mx28 support gstreamer? If so, how do you add it to the configuration under DEL5.9? Being new to gstreamer, if I had an RTSP stream coming from an IP camera and wanted to save it to a file, is there an example that shows the appropriate commandline to use?

Using DigiESP, make a new kernel and rootfs with apps project, then hit the configure button. Do a search for gstremer, it should appear under rootfs config, pre-built apps. And is selected by default.
If you need info on gstreamer,
Check in the help section of the DigiESP gui, under the Built in Applications and services you can find section 7.6.20 Gstreamer, more info can be found at http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/
The Qt backend on Linux uses GStreamer you should have libgstreamer0.10_0.10 as the minimum with also plugins.

I went to the pre-built apps and the gstreamer framework was not listed. I then went under options and selected show all options. The gstreamer framework shows up but is disabled. Does this mean that it is an unsupported application on the i.mx28 platform? If it is unsupported is there any other option that I may have available to record a RTSP stream?

ok so the gstreamer is not offered in the ConnectCard by default. It is not an application that fits the profile of a ConnectCard. Apparently it is not tested on the ConnectCard platform. The DEL toolchain has cortex A8 binaries for gstreamer that won’t run on the ConnectCard.
To get it working your going to have to cross compile the gstreamer for the ConnectCard on the DEL toolchain and install it on your installation. But gstreamer is a complex application to cross compile as it has lots of plugins and dependencies.
You would be better off using DEY.
Once it is available, it is the best option to capture an RTSP stream. There are some examples in the multimedia section of the DEL documentation as to how to accomplish this.

i would say ConnectCard i.mx28 is NOT designed for streaming video/audio applications.

Try ConnectCore i.mx53 or the latest ConnectCore i.mx6

Price also will vary :slight_smile:

the ConnectCard for i.MX28 is a development platform for the Freescale (now NXP) i.MX28 series of processors. GStreamer is a popular multimedia framework for Linux systems, and it is often used for tasks such as streaming and recording video and audio.

To determine whether GStreamer is supported on the ConnectCard for i.MX28 and how to add it to your configuration under DEL5.9, you would need to refer to the specific documentation and resources provided by the manufacturer or the community maintaining the software stack for your platform. This information may have changed since my last update.

However, I can provide you with some general steps on how you can use GStreamer to save an RTSP stream from an IP camera to a file on a Linux system once you have GStreamer installed:

1. Install GStreamer: Make sure GStreamer is installed on your system. You can usually install it using your distribution’s package manager. For example, on Debian/Ubuntu-based systems, you can use apt:

bashCopy code

sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-tools
  1. Use the GStreamer Pipeline: GStreamer uses pipelines to describe multimedia workflows. Here’s an example of a GStreamer pipeline to save an RTSP stream to a file:

bashCopy code

gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc location=rtsp://<IP_CAMERA_URL> ! decodebin ! autovideosink ! videoconvert ! x264enc ! mp4mux ! filesink location=output.mp4
  • Replace <IP_CAMERA_URL> with the actual RTSP URL of your IP camera.
  • This pipeline captures the RTSP stream, decodes it, displays it on the screen (autovideosink), converts it, encodes it to H.264 format, muxes it into an MP4 container, and finally saves it to output.mp4.
  1. Run the GStreamer Command: Execute the GStreamer command in your terminal.

Please note that GStreamer pipelines can be highly customized depending on your specific requirements, including the choice of codecs, containers, and processing steps. Make sure to consult the GStreamer documentation and adapt the pipeline to your needs.

Keep in mind that the availability of specific GStreamer plugins and elements may depend on your GStreamer installation and the libraries it is built against. If you encounter issues or need further assistance, it’s advisable to consult the documentation for your specific hardware and software environment or seek support from the relevant community or vendor.

learn more about best video editor apk