How much flash does the Xbee 3 Cellular LTE CAT module actually have?

I’m working with this module: https://www.digi.com/products/xbee-rf-solutions/embedded-cellular-modems/xbee3-cellular-lte-cat-1#specifications

The specs for it says it has 32kB flash / 32kB RAM. However, executing the following MicroPython code returns “419kB Free of 428kB”

import uos
uos.getfree(‘’)

So…does the Xbee 3 Cellular have 32kB flash or around 512kB?

MicroPython on XBee3 Cellular doesn’t have a uos.getfree() method, but I’ll assume you’re asking about the file system flash (due to the “uos” reference). Maybe you were calculating sizes from statvfs()?

The hardware includes a 1MB SPI flash split in half, with one half used for OTA firmware updates and the other half used for the file system. There’s some overhead there, so you end up with less than 512KB available for file storage.

“ATFS info” and “uos.statvfs()” report on file system flash usage.

1 Like

Hey,

sorry for bringing this topic up after quite some time, but i would like to ask one question regarding TomCollins answer…
As you mentioned:
“The hardware includes a 1MB SPI flash split in half, with one half used for OTA firmware updates and the other half used for the file system. There’s some overhead there, so you end up with less than 512KB available for file storage.”

What exactly is the overhead that are you referring to?

Thank you in advance and sorry for the inconvenience