Linux, dgrp-1.7, error: 'struct tty_struct' has no member named 'flip'

When I try to compile the Linux EtherLite driver dgrp-1.7 against a linux-2.6.15-rc1-mm1 kernel, I get this error due to tty code changes. Is there a new (beta) dgrp driver I can try?

TIA

/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c: In function ‘dgrp_input’:
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:414: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:414: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:416: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:416: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:432: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:460: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:462: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:475: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:476: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:478: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:478: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:481: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:482: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:483: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:487: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:488: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:490: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:490: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:507: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:508: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:2108:11: warning: “SERIAL_HAVE_POLL_WAIT” is not defined
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:2149:11: warning: “SERIAL_HAVE_POLL_WAIT” is not defined
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c: In function ‘dgrp_receive’:
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:3579: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:3580: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:3581: error: ‘struct tty_struct’ has no member named ‘flip’
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c: In function ‘dgrp_net_ioctl’:
/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.c:4145: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘verify_area’
make[3]: *** [/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver/dgrp_net_ops.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [module/tmp/dgrp-1.7/driver] Error 2
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make: *** [build] Error 2

PS, any reason this driver is not in the Linux kernel? That would prevent issues like this.

You will want to contact Digi’s Technical support for a pre-release driver to support the newer kernel.

None of the Digi drivers are provided within the kernel for various reasons.

Thanks for your time and reply, userid0.

Can you tell me what are the reasons the drivers are not in the kernel?

I’d say that would be an advantage for both Digi and their customers, but I don’t know what you know :slight_smile:

FWIW, I was pretty disappointed when I found out I need an (out of tree) driver to get the etherlite working. The fact that it even doesn’t compile is an unfortunate acknowledgement of the trouble out-of-tree drivers give.

Of course I should have just bought a device which doesn’t require a driver, but that’s too late now. Before you ask, it is too late to return it too.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Digi stopped submitting drivers to the Linux kernel, due to bad (customer) experiences on previous kernel submitted drivers and reasons known only to the developers.

Also, since you are running an unstable “test” kernel, there is a good chance the Digi pre-release driver simply will not work. So a working driver will may not be available until the kernel changes make it to an official “stable” release.

No prob, I really appreciate your support here (as do the others you’ve helped, I’m sure).

I’ll contact support now, and point them to this thread.

To Support: please respond to this thread so others can read and learn. Also, please explain why this driver is not in the Linux kernel, if/when the driver gets submitted for inclusion, and where I can get a new driver for Linux kernel 2.6.15.

Thanks in advance.

All “mm” kernels are by definition cutting edge, and should not be used for production servers. Digi does not support the “mm” kernels, only the official series and Distributions that are based off of the official series.

As this URL suggests:
http://kernel.org/patchtypes/mm.html

In regards to providing the driver in the kernel, the decsion was made some time ago to discontinue Linux kernel driver submission. This was primarily due to a large percentage of Digi Linux customers indicating that they did not want to have to rebuild their Linux kernel in order to add the desired driver.

Hope this makes sense.

Hello support wizard, thank you for your answer.

Correct me if I’m wrong: the digi dgrp driver does not have to be installed on a server, right?

And to add: a terminal server is not only useful in a production environment.

WRT inclusion in the kernel: it is not necessary to rebuild your kernel if you want to add a module. You don’t have to rebuild your kernel if you add the current dgrp module too, right? So, your answer doesn’t make sense.

And if you still feel different: why not have an in-tree driver and an out-of-tree driver on the website/cd? For example 3Ware and Intel do that too.

The thing is: if you go out of business, I have a problem.
If you discontinue support for etherlite, I have a problem.
If you consider Linux not important anymore, I have a problem.
And, if the kernel updates and the dgrp driver is not compatible anymore, I have a problem (which I have!).

So, please reconsider. There is not a single disadvantage to having this driver in the kernel for both customers (like me) and digi. In fact, you don’t even have to maintain the in-tree driver.

This really is not a decision Techinical Support would make. However, we would be happy to issue an Engineering Change Request for Product Managment to reconsider kernel inclusion.

Pleas do submit the Engineering Change Order. I too am having this trouble with Fedora Core 5, Kernel 2.6.17-1.2145_FC5-smp-i686 (a stable release I might add) and driver version 1.9.

I need this driver working. and I don’t want to have to wait for a new one (or fix the driver myself) if there’s another kernel change. This brings me to my question…

Is there a driver that will work - a pre-release version or something? I have found the problem in the kernel that has broken the driver and by now I’d think that Digi could have fixed it.

Thanks,

PGA

You will want to contact Digi Technical support for a pre-release driver that will work in the newer kernels.