RealPort on Debian 10, problem with virtual devices

For several years I successfully ran RealPort on a Debian 8 (jessie) machine. I am now trying to do the same on Debian 10 (buster). I have downloaded, built, and installed 1.9.40 on the new machine.

One change I see is the -g group requires an integer where before I put in the name. Notwithstanding that change, the following is what I used to run to initialize a virtual device.

sudo dgrp_cfg_node -v -p 772 -g 20 init AA 1.2.3.4 1

If I do the same now the device is created, but it does not reflect the desired group, or a file permission of 660.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Sep 15 09:50 /dev/ttyAA00 -> tty_dgrp_AA_0
crw------- 1 root root 244, 0 Sep 15 10:10 /dev/tty_dgrp_AA_0

If I run my script as sudo it works. If I manually change the ownership and permission of the device to

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 244, 0 Sep 15 10:10 /dev/tty_dgrp_AA_0

I can run it as a regular user that is part of the dialout group.

I have tried changing values in /etc/dgrp.backing.store

How is it configured so the virtual devices are created with permissions 660 and group dialout?

As sometimes happens I discovered a solution shortly after posting the question. Started doing some diffs of previous dgrp files with those on the new system and found a significant difference with:

/etc/udev/rules.d/10-dgrp.rules

I changed the following:

KERNEL==“tty_dgrp*”, PROGRAM=“/usr/bin/dgrp_udev %k”, SYMLINK+=“%c”, TAG=“systemd”

to

KERNEL==“tty_dgrp*”, PROGRAM=“/usr/bin/dgrp_udev %k”,SYMLINK+=“%c”, NAME=“%c”, GROUP=“dialout”,MODE=“0660”,OPTIONS=“last_rule”

I’m curious if there is a better way or if something with Debian 10 instructions/configuration was left off? I only play a sys admin when I have to. This one took me a solid day. Excuse me while I pat myself on the back…