Remote control over IO

Hey,

I want to create the following:
To have a Xbee(series 1) control a RC tank(2 motors and an analog distance sensor) and receiving it’s data from a Xbee(series 1) connected to a computer.

Currently I have 2 Xbee series 1 radio’s, One connected to a computer and one connected to the robot(okay LED’s for testing but it’s the same).

The problem is that I’m lost how to set up the radio’s.
I know that the sender radio needs to send any serial data over RF to the other one. And the receiver needs to interperted this data and switch the IO or read the ADC en send the value back.

I need the following IO:
2 IO direction control for motor 1.
2 IO direction control for motor 2.
1 Analog for distance sensor.
2 PWM output for motor speed(Or at least one, then both motors run at same speed).

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction(or say it’s impossible and why)?

That all sounds perfectly possible. You’ll need to read the product manual to see how it all works, and you might also like to look at the pinned posts at the top of this forum for other resources.

Then if you have any specific questions, I’m sure we’ll be happy to try to help.

Good luck with the project!

Then I have a first question:

Were can I find the most recent product manual for the series 1? The one on the digi site is for the series 2.

Rather than give a direct link, here’s a walkthrough because this way you’ll be able to find other stuff too.

Point your browser at http://www.digi.com/

Click the Support tab

In the listbox, scroll down and select XBee/XBee-PRO 802.15.4.Adapters

Click the Documentation link

Click the link: Product Manual: XBee/XBee-PRO 802.15.4 OEM RF Modules

You should now be looking at 900000982_B.pdf, which is the manual you need.

Already thanks for the help.

I’m uing the XB24 modules. Am I correct that these are end-of-life?
If I understand the manual correctly the settings should be this:

Controller(connected to PC):
CH=A
ID=3332
A2=000
MY=01
DL=02
DH=00

(acts as serial line replacement/transparant mode
so sends any received data from the serial port to the robot.)

Robot:
CH=A
ID=3332
A1=000
MY=02
DL=01
DH=00
AP=1
D0=4
D1=4
D2=4
D3=4
D5=2
P0=2
P1=2

(runs in API mode so received data is interperted
as API packets.)

Then the PC needs to send the correct API packtes over the serial port to the controller Xbee.

Am I thinking correctly or am I missing something?