simple accelerometer setup

Hello Everyone,

I am new to XBee and I would like to setup a 3 axis accelerometer connected directly to the A2D ports of a XBEE PRO end device. The coordinator, also a XBEE PRO, will be connected to a laptop/pc via USB using a XBee Explorer I purchased from Sparkfun. I seem to have setup the basic parameters and I am able to execute a ND AT command from the X-CTU terminal which returns the correct response. Eventually I would like to write a driver in C/C++ for my setup in Linux but for now I just need a simple way to pass the accel. data from the end device to the coordinator so that I may view the data in the X-CTU terminal. I thought this would be just a matter of directly wiring the accel to the end device and plugging in the coordinator to the laptop (both in transparent mode) but I do not see the data in the terminal when moving the accel around. Documentation and discussions on the net seem to be Arduino centric i.e. Arduino seems to a middle man with some Processing or Sketch like programming which I do not need/want at the moment. I am wondering if anyone could provide guidance, advice, or references that may aid in achieving such a setup in the simplest way possible? I really need to dig into understanding the basics of the XBee hardware, modes, and details thus simplicity is key.

Thank you!

Transparent mode means that data sent into the serial port of one XBee will appear at the serial port of the other.

In your case, and if I understand it right, you want to read A/D values. They’re not automatically transmitted - you need to program your host to request them at intervals, or (alternatively and perhaps easier) you need to set up the XBee to transmit them at regular intervals. Then you need to decode the packets the XBee will send.

If you check out the pinned posts at the top of this forum you’ll find some stuff I’ve written. Some of it may help. if it doesn’t help enough, please post again. For instance, check out the description of the IR command, and cross-refer to the description in the Digi manual. Also, remember that the Digi manual is the authority. My notes are just derived from it.

Hope that helps

John