Upgrading the Firmware in a Digi One IA Realport

Can anyone tell me how to use a TFTP server to upgrade the Post Code in a Digi One IA Realport?

I use the freeware “Pumpkin” TFTP client/server package - in fact it is one of the tools on my “USB Thumb Drive” I carry around. It enables me to painlessly transfer files upto 65MB between 2 windows systems. See: http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin/

Unpack Pumpkin (doesn’t even need to be installed) and create a nice safe root directory like “/tftpboot” or “/temp/tftp”. You set the Pumpkin “option” to this directory and I also set it to give all and take all files without asking. This is safe since only this one directory is effected. If you have a Windows firewall running you’ll need to enable Pumpkin to serve the TFTP on UDP port 69.

Copy your POST (82000779_D.bin) and EOS files (82000770_E1.bin) into your safe root directory. These are the “BIOS” and “Application” file respectively. Note that it is critical if updating a rev “D” or “D1” to “E1” that you update the POST first!! This is because the EOS size increased beyond 1MB and the older POST cannot handle the larger file size.

From the web ui you just select the TFTP option & enter the file names and your PC’s IP address.

But if you are looking for the fast way to update, then use telnet to the Digi One (TCP port 23). You can cut-n-paste these lines into your telnet session to quickly update (and/or backup) many Digi products. In these examples below I assume your Windows PC has IP address 192.168.1.2 - you need to use your real IP.

To reflash the POST (BIOS) use command:
#> boot load-post=192.168.1.2:82000749_D.bin
Then reboot:
#> boot a=r

To reflash the EOS (Application) use command:
#> boot load=192.168.1.2:82000770_E1.bin
Then reboot:
#> boot a=r

In these CPCONF examples the name cpconf.cfg is used unless you enter some other name. Note that the saved file is pure text and you can edit with WordPad (don’t use notepad), plus the IP is embedded. So one backup can be used on many Digi if you either edit the IP or just delete the lines that set any IP info.

To SAVE a copy of the config use command:
#> cpconf tohost=192.168.1.2:SOMENAME.txt

To RESTORE a copy of the config use command:
#> cpconf fromhost=192.168.1.2:SOMENAME.txt
Then reboot:
#> boot a=r

Message was edited by: lynnl