XBee routing

hello,
I hope I am posting this to the correct forum

I have got several XBee modules loaded with the XB24-ZB firmware (218C)…

I am doing a study in AODV vs Cluster-tree routing
I understand that ZigBee 2007 stack profile 1 supports mesh & tree network

I also read that ZIgBee uses AODV to discover routes in mesh

I cannot understand if there is some sort of way to control the routing protocol… I mean even if I make a network with one coordinator, two routers and let’s say 2 end devices as leafs to each how can I be sure that it is going to perform tree routing and not AODV?
I didn’t find anything relevant in X-CTU there is only a ZigBee stack option but I don’t know if it is relevant

I assume that these protocols are implemented in the stack and I don’t have to create a code which forwards packets am I correct?

Thanks in advance
Best regards,
Skatedancer

First, 2 Xbee with 218C cannot talk to each other (you probably know that)

I wouldn’t be much help - no idea how to flip to the tree routing.

All I have heard about the tree subsystem is the Xbee folks hate it, calling it some old low-cost $@$# forced into the standard by people like Microsoft who later denied wanting it once they understood how troublesome it would be to common users.

The problem with tree routes is any failure requires human (or AI) intervention to reconfigure the tree.

Have you just looked at using 802.15.4 and doing your own store-n-forward?

hello lynnl,

thanks for your reply

No I wasn’t aware of the 218C fact… what do you mean they cannot talk to each other?

I can send packets to each other using unicast transmission… and multi-hop works but I guess that it uses AODV to work out the route…

ZigBee stack profile 1 uses tree routing whereas in ZigBee pro it is disabled… I can change this option but even in profile 1, I don’t know how to make sure that it actually works as a tree…
It is confusing because in some documentation I read that “ZigBee aims at star or tree” and in some that AODV is default…

making forwarding packets would be too static, wouldn’t it? and is only possible in 802.15.4?

First, 2 Xbee with 218C cannot talk to each other (you probably know that)

yeah sorry my mistake… the basic firmware is Xbee ZB… one is with 218C (Coordinator) and I have 1-2 with router firmware and the rest end devices firmware… I thought it should work like a tree but I am not able to test properly!

There is Many-to-one Routing and Source Routing available also.
Chapter four of the manual deals with routing.

There is Many-to-one Routing and Source Routing available also.
Chapter four of the manual deals with routing.

yes I have read the XBee®/XBee-PRO® ZB manual… it is strange that it does not mention tree routing at all… I know it has been removed from ZigBee PRO stack but it is there in ZigBee 2007!

I’ll see if I can find someone who knows the answer to look at your post.

thanks for that Lynn :slight_smile: