XBee S2 for Remote Car on Arduino

Hi!
FIrst of all, yes, I googled.

I have an RC car, controlled by Arduino (oh, don’t ask why), with the Adafruit Motorshield on top.
By using simple code i made the car moving.

I need it to recieve the pushbuttons data, so it will move forward, backward, right and left.
Special for that (and for future education purposes) I got two XBee Series 2, with the Explorer (Regulated) and Explorer USB.
Right now I am having problems with direct input of XBee.

I want simply connect pushbuttons to DIO0-DIO3 of one XBee and have it as output on DIO0-DIO3 of another XBee.
After that I want to connect it to Arduino and make it move the wheels by the motorshield.

I was trying to follow many instructions, but, whatever I do, nothing works, so i stoped at that particular one:
http://www.freakent.co.uk/2013/01/20/look-no-arduino-xbee-sensor-network/

At the and I am getting RSSI being ON on both XBee modules, and DOUT of reciever module.
However, test LED on the DIO0 does not flash.

This is my test circuit for XBees:

Please, any help, tip or guidance will be an asset.

ps.
I power up the circuit by AAA batteries. Could i have problems because of power lackage?

lionclop,

On Series2 the IO throughput is not automatic as in Series1. So you have to parse the 0x92 frames that the arduino will receive and then take actions. Does this answer your question?

parse the 0x92 frames that the arduino will receive and then take actions

it does, but i do not know how to do that.

In this link you can find the product’s manual.

On page 114 (ZigBee IO Data Sample Rx Indicator) is explained how to interpret the 0x92 frames. You should do bit probes to determine which pushbuttons are pressed.

Note: Bear in mind that these frames are received only when the receiver is configured in AO=0; if it’s configured AO>0, the same data is received in an explicit receive frame (0x91).

still, i dont know what to do.
What i did is through the X-CTU i END DEVICE be in AT mode with D0, D1, D2 be 5 (digital output high)
coordinator is in API, because i heard, that series 2 allows direct IO only in API mode.
Now, when i connec D0 to LED it always ON, doesnt matter if i push the button or not.
However, when i push the button DOUT blinks.
What am i doing wrong right now?

Series 2 doesn’t support direct IO passing. It’s done by either reading/setting AT commands remotely or by parsing incoming 0x92 frames. (Maybe this post helps you…).

Now, when i connec D0 to LED it always ON, doesnt matter if i push the button or not.
However, when i push the button DOUT blinks.

When you push the button, the EndDevice is sending a 0x92 frame to the coordinator (that’s why DOUT blinks), but you need to read that output and interpret it (so, you need an external uC, like the Arduino…) to take an action like changing D0 value.

Does it helps? If not, please be more specific on your configuration and if you could, post the frames that are getting in the coordinator.

The Mesh based product is not the right product for this. What is the exact part number you are using for the XBee? It will be on the white label.