Can I implement Xbee on my board?

Hello guys.

I’m going to use mesh network communication on a project and I would like to know if I can (and by “can” I mean is there support from Digi) incorporate the Xbee to my board.

I’m making sensor boards and would like to make them as small as possible, for that I need to be able to forgo the Xbee board and put the IC and passives directly on my board.

Has anyone here done that? Or do I need to look for another solution, like TI’s CC2530?

All comments are appreciated, even on my not native English writing.

Thank you!

I am not sure I understand what it is you are asking. Are you asking if you can remove the Ember processor we use and mount that processor directly on your board and then you use Digi’s firmware for the processor?

1 Like

Yes, something like that.

The TI solution is a chip, the CC2530 is an example. I can solder the ic to my board, with the reference circuit found on the datasheet. That saves a lot of space. I don’t know what IC is used on the Digi boards, I would have to remove the metal cover to see. What I’m asking is if its possible to do with Digi’s Xbee the same as TI’s solution, solder the IC to my board, with no need for the blue Digi board.

That is not something Digi offers. What you are looking for in that case is a chip solution that you will need to both write the necessary code as well as performing the entire FCC testing. What I would suggest instead is creating a daughter board that will fit the XBee ZB SMT module and the necessary power and sensor circuit. I think that you will find that you will get what you want but at a significant less cost and improved time to market.

Thank you for your reply. That was exactly the information I was looking for. The SMD version looks interesting.
Cheers.