Connect ME / Industrial protocols?

Is there any easy way to migrate from the Digi One IAP configured as a serial/ethernet bridge using an industrial protocol (Modbus/TCP or Ethernet/IP) to the Digi Connect ME?

We have a customer asking for an ethernet connection, so we designed in the Connect ME. Now I’m hearing that they’re expecting to communicate with a PLC, so I’m a bit concerned that the ME won’t be able to cut it.

The Digi software partner FieldServer Technologies is providing IA centric solutions for NET+OS and other platforms. Below you’ll find the contact information:

http://www.protocessor.com/contactus/

> Now I’m hearing
> that they’re expecting to communicate with a PLC, so
> I’m a bit concerned that the ME won’t be able to cut
> it.

Why’s that likely to be a problem?

We’re using protocols very similar to Modbus over Ethernet, and on the ME9210 are getting something like 500-600 messages/second from a single TCP/IP socket without any effort at optimisation. Use three separate PCs to poll the device, and aggregate rate is a bit more - around 700-800 messages/second.
All without noticeable effect on other things.

> Why’s that likely to be a problem?

Because looking over the books for the -S module, I don’t see a lot of configuration options (at least compared to the IA section of the Digi One IAP).

I should have been clear–I wasn’t planning on writing custom code for the ME this time around.