ConnectPort X2 Series1 python?

We ordered a ConnectPort X2 Series 1 device, but within web configuration tool, there are settings for mesh networking leading me to wonder if we got the correct device.

Also, all the python examples Digi gives are for Zigbee(mesh), so if we do have the correct device, how can I interface with it in python? Is it exposed as a serial port? a socket?

Yes, I have contacted sales and technical support. It is amazingly bad, and I have been trying to figure out if we even have the right device for a couple weeks now. Ridiculous. It seems like they changed their tech support a few weeks ago.

Thank you

I believe we spoke over the phone earlier today.

The Web UI on both ZNet 2.5 and 802.15.4 models of our ConnectPort X gateways DO say mesh network. We realize that’s a bit misleading when talking 802.15.4, so we’re looking at changing the wording on that page to better represent either type of wireless network.

The python samples can be used with either 802.15.4 or ZNet 2.5 (and ZB, when released). Specifics on how to interface with a given type of radio can be found in both the Python Programmer’s Guide, as well as the OEM User Manual for the type of radio in question.

Keep in mind these links will be outdated the moment one of these manuals is upgraded, but here’s some links for your convenience:

802.15.4 OEM manual:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/manual_xb_oem-rf-modules_802.15.4_v1.xAx.pdf

ZNet 2.5 OEM manual:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000866_C.pdf

Python Programmer’s Guide:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000833_b.pdf

Yes, we spoke on the phone. Thank you for clarifying some things. I understand that support is especially busy right now. I hope that things settle down. Digi is creating some exciting products.

It was difficult to get through with some fairly basic questions, but I found the “chat room” on the support page worked fairly quickly, but the “Online Support Request” was painful.

I have those manuals and have also been working with both the Series1 and Series2 modems, but the manuals are not that much help when dealing with the connectport gateway, at least the Series1 gateway.

I have tried the zigbee.ddo_get_param (I think that is the syntax) function on some of the Series one AT commands, and only get an error in return.

I don’t think the Python Programmer’s Guide addresses anything to do with the Series1, only Series2. Please correct me if I am wrong.

For instance, here is an excerpt from the get param section:
"Get a DDO parameter id by using the 64-bit address given by addr_extended.
For descriptions of the possible values for the DDO parameter id, see the XBee™
Series 2 OEM RF Modules Product Manual (part number 90000866_B). "

Hi wilf–

Maybe I can help out here a bit. I’ve had a few x2 series 1 for about 6 months now and have everything figured out for our solution. Since I’m not sure where you are in the process let me just volunteer some “getting started” steps to writing some python code for your x2. (I’m assuming you are using a a windows OS)

1. You’ll want to connect the x2 via an ethernet cable to your PC. From there use the DeviceDiscovery tool included on the CD to locate the x2 on the network. From this tool you can use the web to upload new python files.

2. Create a new python file called Test.py and copy in the text below. (you can just do this from notepad or whatever your favorite text editor is.) Here’s a short test program I wrote that just reads a ddo parameter and prints it to the screen.
    #------------------------------

print 'Starting'
     rssi = ord(zigbee.ddo_get_param(None, 'MM'))
     print 'RSSI:, ,', rssi

#-------------------------------
3) Upload this file using the web browser to your x2.
4) Right click on the x2 in the DeviceDiscovery tool and select telnet.
5) Type in “python Test.py”

It should run the python script and show the value of the ddo parameter. (I can’t remember right now, but MM by default should be 0,1 or 2)

Hope this helps!

Rob
Phase Zero Integration

i realize this topic is dead, but it is very close to our problem, and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

We have an x2 (and an x4) that we are trying to use with the series 1 chips. our goal is to have everything this series 1 chip receives bridged to a tcp socket. we have been sent some python code for this from digi, but it hasn’t seemed to work.

i have tried the tcp_serial.py code, but it gives me a separate port for each node. i want one port for the xbee that is inside the x2.

Message was edited by: gschwab

The best course of action would be to re-open your Support case if you haven’t reached a solution yet. Further modification of the zb_tcp_serial script would need to be made