design advice for ZB or digi mesh for guard tour in building

Hello i am new to zigbee design, just bought a ZB dev kit so i could start learning, but for my needs it may not actually be the correct kit, the digimesh protocol may actually be a better choice after all.

Maybe somebody could be kind enough to advise me…

The kit has the following items… Xbee pro series 2 , xbee series 2, wall router, Connect port x4 and Xstick.

I need to locate a guard whilst he moves around a complex.
The idea would be to have battery powered xbee modules with an I/O pin connected to a door switch.
When the I/O changes state the module needs to wake and send a message to the remote PC that this device (its mac address maybe) has had its pin change.

This i/o change seams to be possible with the ZB API protocol i think?

the other aspect of the design is that the guard needs a mobile panic button.
If he is anywhere in the complex he can activate the same I/O on his portable device and send a mac id message to the nearest device.

Ideally it would be good if its possible for the remote PC to be able to identify where the panic buttons message has originated from on the network - but I don’t know if this is possible?

My thoughts are that the Digimesh protocol would be more suitable for my needs because the mobile guards panic button can easily join the network anywhere without worrying about routers, coordinator etc.

I don’t wish to send data just I/O changes so no external micro controller.

So my questions are…

1. What’s best for me ZB or Digimesh?
  2. Can i upgrade my ZB Series 2 to Digimesh?
  3. Can Digimesh support wake up on I/O pin change and transmit?
  4. Can the network somehow identify where a mobile xbee has sent its message from?
  5. Am I using the right technology or is there a better choice?
  6. if you have suggestions can you direct me to where I could learn more, or with help on how to set up my modules?

I know I have a lot of questions so I thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Regards
Pip