Edgeport/416 driver for Linux

I am trying to connect an Edgeport 416 to a CentOS 5 machine and the io_ti driver does not seem to have the ID for this device.

I assume the device is newer than the driver which registers as “drivers/usb/serial/io_ti.c: Edgeport USB Serial Driver v0.7”

The kernel version is: 2.6.18-8.1.14.el5

Is there a newer driver available for this kernel?

Thanks,
Ken

Ken,

There’s a known issue with newer model Edgeport/8 and Edgeport/416 units on some older 2.6 kernels. The way I understand it, the driver itself is compatible but the PID/VID of these newer Edgeports isn’t known to the driver (or related files).

Here are some suggestions:

1. We have some patches on-hand that were custom made for certain kernels. You could try to install a “closest match” patch (one that’s closest to your kernel version) that may or may not work.

2. You can try a different patch that one of our customers was nice enough to provide us with. This patch seems to be more generic, meaning not specificically made for any one specific kernel. Unfortunately, this patch is “as is” with no instructions so some Linux knowledge would be required.

3. If feasible, update your kernel to a newer version or use a different / newer Linux distribution that may have the patch already installed. The patch I mentioned in #1 was submitted to the kernel maintainers some time back.

4. Any other Edgeport besides a newer Edgeport/8 or Edgeport/416 should work without a patch. Do you require all 16 ports? If not, do you have any other Edgeports that you might be able to use in place of this one?

What do you think?

Hello,

I just installed an EdgePort/416 on a 32 bit CentOS 6.3 running kernel 2.6.32-279.14.1.el6.i686. I can’t access any of the ttyUSB devices even if they all show up ok in the logs. It always fails with Can’t access ttyUSB0 for R/W. No such devices.

Any ideas or pointers?

Many thanks,

David

Hello again,

According to this thread…

http://forums.digi.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,4977

…then we also have a broken hardware version. Indeed our Edgeport/416 which is not working also has a PN: (1P) 50000780-01 E.

What can be done about it?

Many thanks,

David