Edgeport Drivers for Linux?

I see there are drivers for various OS including Solaris but are there any for Linux? I’m using Ubuntu.

Thanks,

Rick

If you have a modern version of Ubuntu installed, it should be running a 2.6 kernel. The Edgeport driver is built into 2.6 kernels, so installation should be a breeze - just plug in the Edgeport and access the serial ports as “device nodes”, i.e. /dev/ttyUSB0 for serial port 1, /dev/ttyUSB1 for serial port 2, and so forth.

Let me know if you’re running a 2.4 kernel, though, as I would need to send you the Edgeport driver package for Linux. If you’re not sure what kernel you’re running, issue the command “uname -a”.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I’m using kernel 2.6 so I’ll give it a try.

Take care,

Rick

> If you have a modern version of Ubuntu installed, it
> should be running a 2.6 kernel. The Edgeport driver
> is built into 2.6 kernels, so installation should be
> a breeze - just plug in the Edgeport and access the
> serial ports as “device nodes”, i.e. /dev/ttyUSB0 for
> serial port 1, /dev/ttyUSB1 for serial port 2, and so
> forth.
>
> Let me know if you’re running a 2.4 kernel, though,
> as I would need to send you the Edgeport driver
> package for Linux. If you’re not sure what kernel
> you’re running, issue the command “uname -a”.

Is there an updated version to the drivers included in the 2.6 kernel? We currently have an edgeport serial hub that is not working with the latest drivers. The part number is: (1P)50001314-01 it returns a product ID of 0x244. Looking through the driver source code the highest supported ID is 0x243.

Exactly what kernel version are you running? Let me know the results of the following command:

uname -a

Linux kernel version 2.6.21.1
Edgeport Driver ver 2.7

Also tried on kernel 2.6.17-10-generic

You have a newer model Edgeport/8 that requires a patch for 2.6 kernels.

Update your e-mail address in your profile and I’ll send you a patch to try, with installation instructions.

Updated. Thanks for your help.

Hi jeremy!

I have the same problem here. My kernel version is 2.6.18. Could you mail me the update too? Thank you!

regards

The closest patch we have is for a 2.6.16 kernel so it may or may not work on your 2.6.18 system but it’s an easy thing to try. I’ll e-mail it to you shortly.

I’ll be needing the patch as well I guess as my Edgeport\4r (3001-1002-16) is not showing up in Ubuntu 9.10 (2.6.31-20-generic)

Hi James,

The Edgeport/4r is a new model. Unfortunately, it’s not yet supported with Linux, so that’s why it’s not showing up.

I will bring this up with product management, to see if we can get this added. Technically, we would need to update the Edgeport driver for Linux and then submit that to the kernel maintainers, in order to make progress. That would add support for the Edgeport/4r for future kernels but not yours.

For your particular system, we would most likely need to make a custom patch. Unless you consider yourself Linux savvy - if so, I could point you in the right direction with some steps that could be done to add support for it.

About how many Edgeport/4r units do you have (now and potentially later) that you need Linux support for?

The Edgeport/4r is a new model. Unfortunately, it’s not yet supported with Linux, so that’s why it’s not showing up.

The data sheets list support for Windoze, Solaris and Linux.

For your particular system, we would most likely need to make a custom patch. Unless you consider yourself Linux savvy - if so, I could point you in the right direction with some steps that could be done to add support for it.

I consider myself Linux savvy :).

About how many Edgeport/4r units do you have (now and potentially later) that you need Linux support for?

Currently we have 1 that we are using to prototype a new project. Potentially if the product goes well we could be reselling them.

Any word? Why doesn’t the device support the OS’s listed in the data sheet? What are the “steps that could be done to add support for it”?

Apologies for the delay, James.

I’m still pursuing this - regarding getting the EP/4r supported on Linux moving forward, and getting instructions for how you can add support for it for your particular kernel.

Thanks for your patience!

James,

We’re making plans to add Linux support for the new Edgeport/4r but that will only apply to future kernel versions.

The kernel version that your Ubuntu system is running is recent and thus should include the TI driver sources (the Edgeport/4r uses the io_ti driver) but is missing support for the Edgeport/4r in particular.

I’m told that you just need to add entries to the code for the Vendor and Product Ids (1608 and 0202 respectively) and then to replace the firmware file with a newer one that supports the Edgeport/4r, which you can download here:

ftp://austin:!15st3n!@ftp1.digi.com/temp/EP_TI_5.38.zip

It’s the binary version of the firmware. To my understanding, newer kernels such as yours store the firmware files separately in binary form and load them at runtime.

Is this enough info to point you in the right direction, for adding Edgeport/4r support to your particular kernel?

Hello,

I just bought the Digi Edge Port 416 USB to serial converter and i connected it to the computer with an os Red hat with kernel 2.6.18-92 and the ports don’t appear in /dev : There is no ttyUSB*.
I can’t find the drivers for linux on Internet. How can i do to make recognize the equipement on my os. Is the product realy support os linux?
Thank you in advance for your support,

Kernels older than 2.6.23 have an older version of the Edgeport driver and firmware, which does not support some of the newer Edgeports such as the newer Edgeport/416.

The easiest resolution is to just either update the kernel, or use a different Linux system with a more modern kernel. Are either of those feasible options, or must this particular system be used?

Is it really necessary to update the kernel? Is it not possible to only update the driver for edgeport on 2.6.18 kernel?
Thank you.

I need to run an Edgeport 8, 301-1002-08 on CentOS 5.4 (kernel 2.6.18) so I need the patch, please!