Enquires about Xbee/Xbee Pro module

I’m currently doing my project that require Xbee/Xbee Pro RF module, I had read several literature from the internet and it had caused some confusions on the internal architecture of the XBee/ XBee Pro RF module.

My greatest confusion is whether the XBee/XBee PRO RF module
contain a built in microcontroller or not? Some literature mention that
there is a built in microcontroller in the module and some are not.

If there is no built in microcontroller in the XBee RF module, do we
need to connect an external microcontroller? What are the supported microcontrollers for the XBee modules?

The XBee does contain a microcontroller, but as far as the 802.15.4 version is concerned you can’t directly program it. So the fact that it’s there isn’t really relevant to using the chip.

Whether you will need an external microcontroller depends entirely on what you’re trying to accomplish. If the chip can do what you want just by setting parameters, then there’s no need for an external controller. Often, it can.

As far as I know, there are no “supported microcontrollers”, because you can use anything you like (as long as it has a serial communication port). You might prefer to choose one that uses a 3.3V power supply, because that avoids the need for voltage level conversion on the serial lines. But if you do need a microcontroller, and if there’s already one that you’re familiar with, it’s probably a lot easier to implement the level conversion than to learn a new controller.

I’m going to take a guess now. Please don’t be offended if I’m wrong - I’m still trying to be helpful here.

My guess: this is a coursework project. If that’s the case, you’ve obviously been reading around the subject and a quick check with your tutor will probably be more productive than an extended series of questions here. Your tutor will know what we don’t, which is what you’re expected to achieve.

If my guess is wrong, then maybe you could post more detail about what you are trying to do.

Thank you for your valuable information. Your guess is only half right, yes i’m doing a coursework project, this is my responsibility to find out the solutions.

I’m designing a lost child locator, plan to use Xbee as my wireless module. In this locator, i will include a buzzer and 7-segment numeric LED display. This is my first hardware project which I have to do it individually.

I’m willing to listen to your views if you are willing to tell. ^^
By the way, why the Xbee 802.15.4 version can’t directly program it?