Feasability question using connectport X2

Greetings! I’m new to this forum, and TCP programming in general, so I am hoping to get some feedback regarding a project I am working on.

What I want to do is have a computer communicate to the gateway through the ethernet port, then get a message back to my computer saying the message was received.

My current plan is to create a socket, and then communicate with the TCP echo port on the gateway to see if what I’m sending is being received properly.

Currently I’m writing in Java, though the Gateway uses Python. My program is giving an error when trying to initialize the I/O stream to the gateway, so I was wondering if I need to use Python explicitly to communicate with the Gateway?

Most of the examples I’ve seen deal with the XBee communication side of the device, and I will eventually have to deal with this. But for now, I just want to see if my messages are being received. Does anyone have any helpful info that could clear up what exactly I need to do to communicate with the Gateway?

Assuming you mean “TCP echo port #7”, the Digi gateway won’t support that - it’s a pointless security hole, showing existance of a complex device too clearly.

Just aim your Java app at port 23 (telnet) or even port 80 (HTTP/web). For either, you should see some data come back.

Ok, I’ll give that a try and see what I get. Thanks for the quick response. :slight_smile:

Actually, I was wrong - the Digi X2 or X4 do support TCP Echo port, but it turned off by default. You’d need to use telnet (not the web ui) to manually find and turn the service on. I don’t know the command off hand, but it would be in the Connect family user guide available from the Digi support site.

But testing against port 23 or 80 should surve your purpose just fine and elimiate the need to figure out how to turn TCP Echo service on :slight_smile:

I did manage to get the echo port working. Like you mentioned, I had to manually turn on the service using the command line interface. I had assumed this was initially on, but apparently not.

Thanks for the help. :slight_smile: