Getting started: NFS issue?

Hi folks,

I just opened up my Connect ME 9210 with the developer board and find that it does not have linux pre-installed, unlike what all the documentation seems to suggest. I am following the documentation and am trying to boot using tftp and nfs. I am stuck on something subtle with the NFS mount. The relevant tail of the boot messages is as follows:

IP-Config: Complete:
device=eth0, addr=10.0.3.182, mask=255.255.255.0, gw=10.0.3.1,
host=cme9210js, domain=, nis-domain=(none),
bootserver=10.0.3.187, rootserver=10.0.3.187, rootpath=
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 10.0.3.187
net eth0: link up
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 10.0.3.187
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Freeing init memory: 96K
Mounting kernel file systems: /sys /dev/pts.
Mounting tmp file systems (tmpfs): /tmp.
Creating nodes via configuration file… done
Mounting fstab configured file systems… done
Starting syslog daemon: OK
Initializing random number generator… done
nfs: server 10.0.3.187 not responding, still trying
nfs: server 10.0.3.187 not responding, still trying

I would appreciate some pointers as to how I ought to proceed to debug. I note that I can mount the nfs shares on various computers and it seems to work just fine, so I don’t think it’s my nfs setup. I also note that it seems to mount okay initially, but then get stuck on something else.

Best regards,
Tom

I got this response from support:

Recently we discovered that some of our ME9210 dev. kits got shipped with production images in modules - it has only got u-boot. If your module’s FLASH was not initialized for Linux, it can be easily recovered using the following instructions.

> CME9210 # *** Warning - bad CRC or NAND, using default environment

On U-boot prompt type command:
saveenv

• this should rewrite the NVRAM with default parameters and this message should go away.

Next let’s set up partition table for linux using “flpart” command:
flpart
then option r) to reset partition table , then option l) to initialize it for linux, then q) for quit, then “y” for yes to save changes.

Next, set up your host environment. Install DIGI software and build your first u-boot/kernel/rootfs project for this module as you would normally do and as described in the getting started online help.
Once you do this,(make project, then make install) you should be able to do:

If this works you should now be able to do
update linux tftp
update rootfs tftp
update uboot tftp (this is optional)

Also you should be now able to boot from tftp/NFS:
dboot linux tftp

and after update commands you should also be able to boot from FLASH:
dboot linux flash

to set autoboot- to auto-boot from FLASH:
setenv bootcmd dboot linux flash
to autoboot from tftp/NFS
setenv bootcmd dboot linux tftp
then
saveenv
to save new command to NVRAM

You can use “intnvram” command to update MAC address to the correct one specified on the modules sticker.

In the future, if you wish to take advantage of your free 30 days of support, we request that you register your kit. I believe it is only possible during installaton, so you may need to reinstall.

Best Regards,
Support Wizards

make sure your NFS server is configured properly on host machine- What do you have in your /etc/exports? You should have there something like this:

[root@ae-linux1 gpio_test_c]# cat /etc/exports

/exports 10.0.3.0/24(rw,async,no_root_squash)

and if you make changes to this file ,please make sure you restart NFS server.

Thanks for your considered response. I found that I was unable to ping the host from uboot and once I set enough environment variables it successfully pinged and then the NFS worked just fine.