Incoming or Outgoing Cinnections

I have a Digi One SP and I’m still confused in how to set it up regarding the terms incoming and outgoing connections.

Basically I have a serial device connected to the Digi One SP with information that I want others to be able to access from the serial device. So this would be an outgoing connection, right? Others will access the serial device from around the globe on a 7/24 basis. All the data is outgoing to their PC’s.

What is confusing is that other sites are incoming trying to access the serial device through the Digi One SP.

So to set the record straight do I set up the serial port configuration for Incoming network connections or outgoing network connections using TCP?

Regards,

John

For outgoing you need to KNOW the IP address of the remote. I assume in your situation, only the IP of the DOSP is known. Thus the DOSP needs to sit passively and quietly waiting for incoming connections.

Make sure you enable the TCP Keepalives on the Network + Advanced Setting page of the DOSP. I wish it were on by default, but historically it wasn’t and now we have big customers who expect it to be off. I’d put settings for 4 minutes and 30 seconds, with a probe interval of 30 seconds. You need this to make your remote access to your shared DOSP robust. Most Cisco-grade routers will “drop” ungracefully idle TCP sockets after 5 minutes and without TCP Keepalives set the DOSP may NOT detect that it no longer has a remote host attached.

Remember, the DOSP can ONLY be connected to 1 remote host at a time. So if it does NOT detect the loss of a connection, even the previously connected host will NOT be able to reconnect.

The serial port data can be accessed using both reverse telnet and “connect” from the unit itself. The following application guide should be helpful:

http://ftp.digi.com/support/techsupport/hardware/portserver/rtelnet.html

Thanks for the tip on the application guide web link in the first section of Basic PortServer Configuration I follow the guide and at the third step

1. set config

2. #> set config ip=[the_ip_you_want_to_assign_to_the_portserver]

3.#> boot action=reset rebooting…

The program just keeps rebooting in the mode you see and will not reboot properly. It looks like it’s stuck in the rebooting mode

Can’t I do the same thing in the Web Interface?

How do I turn DHCP off in command prompt?

Thanks in advance.

John

What does the acronym DOSP mean?

Regards,

John

Lynn,

Thanks again in advance for your patience and assistance in answering my posts.

From what I gather and the info you are providing, I need to know the remote IP address that is accessing my outgoing data feed that is connected to my Digi SP One.

I’m a bit amiss on that because I thought anyone could access the data feed. I know of other sites that have a Telnet address and provide the IP address and port and when I enter the remote Telnet IP address and port in the input setting do of the application software I’m using… I get the outgoing feed no problem. Anyone on the internet can access the data feed and the provider didn’t know the IP address.

I’m still hazy on the terminology outgoing and incoming TCP connection? If you are accessing my data feed that is connected to my DIGI SP One, then it is an outgoing TCP connection, right? I’m sending the data to you . So it is outgoing, right? That is the application I’m using

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I’ll keep fiddling around and maybe if I get this router firewall thing cleared up. I’ll then be able to access the outgoing data from a remote site.

So only one remote site can connect to the outgoing data that I’m providing? How do I fix that so multiple remote sites can access the data simutaneously and concurrently?

Seems to me that if I send the data to my web page then multiple users would be able to view the data simutaneously.

Regards,

John

I am not sure what context you need this in/out going - but you seem to be backwards.

If I am remotely accessing your DOSP … then it is an incoming session per the DOSP (PC would see as outgoing PERHAPS). My PC orginates (clients) the connection and the DOSP terminates (serves) the connection. It may go OUT my Router, but it will be coming IN to your router & DOSP.

As mentioned, incoming in the context of the DOSP means it has no knowledge of who will connect. Outgoing means the DOSP will automatically connect outwards to a single, fixed remote and NO ONE on the internet can access the DOSP ever.