NET+OS 7.4, Windows 7 and Segger JTAG Link

We have recently upgraded one development machine to W7 64bit. Although ESP successfully builds and apparently downloads code to the target (Target green and J-Link green) the GDB item never connects. By comparison, on a working Vista dev system the colour changes to green and Connected to 127.0.0.1 appears.

Guessing from the 127.0.0.1 that comms may be the issue we have tried explicitly allowing both the Segger GDB server and ESP itself in the Windows firewall settings, but with no success.

Does this ring a bell with anybody?

We realise that W7 and//or 64bit may not be officially supported, and we may be a couple of versions behind, but performing updates in the past has broken working setups so we are shying away from them.

Version details follow.

Segger J-Link GDB Server V3.88
Digi ESP for NET_OS Version 1.4.0
Digi ESP tools 1.40
Eclipse C/C++ v3.0.2
Eclipse Platform V3.1.2
Eclipse RCP v3.1.2

In the meantime we have installed from scratch on a Windows XP machine, and we are getting the same problem. So scratch the W7 theories. We must be missing something sublte because the same installation proceedure has worked on onther Xp and Vista machines.

The hardware involved works find on the Vista development system, so we can’t blame that, either.

Answering my own question

I compared every project setting between a working setup and the new XP/W7 setups. The key was the Project … Properties … NET+OS … NET+OS Directory path that has been set by the New Project Wizard. This was pointing deep into the folder structure, rather than the root of the NET+OS installation folder

Once corrected both XP and W7 systems connect.

The frustrating thing is that all the ESP could come up with in this situation was the vauge error
*** [.gdbinit] Error 1
in the Problems tab.

Hi,
Im off the PC now, but Im running NET+OS 7.4 with 64bit win7. The problem is that in Program files is only 64bit and segger jtag apps is 32bit and is located in folder: Program files (x68). So find in Properties the path to segger app and chage it to correct path.

Jirka

It is strange, I am using ESP with NET+OS 7.4 on Windows 7 enterprise edition without any problems or needs to customize.

Hi,
Im off the PC now, but Im running NET+OS 7.4 with 64bit win7. The problem is that in Program files is only 64bit and segger jtag apps is 32bit and is located in folder: Program files (x68). So find in Properties the path to segger app and chage it to correct path.

Jirka

For 64bit system go to Window->preferences->NET+OS->DIGI JTAG link
and set variable J-Link GDB Server Executable to

c:\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\DigiJTAGLink\JLinkGDBServer.exe

Jirka

It is strange, I am using ESP with NET+OS 7.4 on Windows 7 enterprise edition without any problems or needs to customize.

64Bits or 32bits ?

Jirka

This should have the latest Segger drivers including 64bit ones
http://www.segger.com/cms/jlink-software.html