Packets dropped - sleep problem ?

Hello,

I’m using two Xbee S1 for an artistic project.

There is Xbee S1 module connected to a small portable unit which sends data to base station (Xbee S1 with wire-antenna).

Data is quite short - either ‘-’ character or 16bytes string, based on user action (button pressed/released).

Everything seems to work fine, except sometimes data doesn’t arrive. It looks like recieving module doesn’t wake up or misses packets. I ran many tests to figure out the problem and it looks like it happends when RSSI light is out and it takes some time to light up.

So my questions are:

Is it normal that some packets are lost ?

Do I need to configure P2P network ? (right now I use default configs)

Should I switch to API mode in order to get more reliable link and check for delivery status ?

Anything else I can do to debug this problem ?

It’s absolutely critical for my application to get “real-time” data from user.

Thanks,
M

If it is critical to get your data, I would suggest using Unicast mode and use the Application level retries (RR).

Ah! Thank you for answering my question! I already lost my hope :frowning:

Ok. Let me try that then!

So it’s normal that data is lost ?

I can imagine some applications, like télémétrie, where it’s not important cause you recieve mass of data …
but for interactive applications - for example door is open… it’s critical, no ?

Thanks again
M

In the default configuration, you are in Peer to peer mode. No guarantee that the data is received or not which means that you can loose data for any reason including interference. If you want to guarantee that data is received you must either use an external protocol or enable retries and acknowledgments. In this case, Point to point or unicast mode.