PPP problem in Digi Linux

Compiled a new kernel and rootfs adding the PPP module (v2.4.4). However, I can not create a PPP connection to a GPRS modem serial (Siemens MC35). The following message appears:

“pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This could be because the PPP kernel module could not be loaded, or because PPP was not included in the kernel configuration. If PPP was included as a module, try /sbin/modprobe -v ppp'. If that fails, check that ppp.o exists in /lib/modules/uname -r`/net.
See README.linux file in the ppp distribution for more details.”

Can anyone help me with the PPP connection on Linux?

Here is how I tested ppp on cc9p9215:

1. Create a project for cc9p9215 with digiel-5.x from scratch.

2. Enable following items:

Network device support (NETDEVICES)
    PPP (point-to-point protocol) support (PPP)
    PPP support for async serial ports (PPP_ASYNC)
    File systems
    Enable POSIX file locking API (FILE_LOCKING)

ROOTFS
    Point-to-Point protocol daemon (DEL_PACKAGE_PPPD)

No need to remove the console, but i have tested removing it and the result is the same.

1. Build and install the project

2. Connect two serial cables to the target. One the normal for the console to port D and another one to B (ttyS1) on the target. Connect the other ends to two serial ports on the HOST.

3. Open two minicoms one for the normal console and the second one for the testing.

4. Boot the target and change in the ppp_dialer script you send the other day the port to ttyS1.

5. In the console minicom run “pppd file /ppp_dialer”, and you should see in the other minicom the AT commands received in the host PC. You must be ready to enter in that minicom OK (for the first command AT&f), OK (for the second) and finally CONNECT. Take care of just type the commands, not any return.

6. The connection is established and in that minicom the pppd packets appear. At this moment if you go to console minicom and run “ifconfig -a” you will see a ppp0 interface.

This is what i get with digiel-5.1. I guess this is the correct behavior, but i am not sure. I have not seen any error message from pppd.

I use ConnetCore 9P 9215 with the Digi Embedded Linux 4.2. This version (DigiEL4.2) does not have the following options to enable:

Network device support (NETDEVICES)
PPP (point-to-point protocol) support (PPP)
PPP support for async serial ports (PPP_ASYNC)
File systems
Enable POSIX file locking API (FILE_LOCKING)

Has only:

ROOTFS
Point-to-Point protocol daemon (DEL_PACKAGE_PPPD)

How to proceed with the Digi EL 4.2???

just checked my old 4.2 installation
it’s all there I think - Linux Kernel Configuration->Device drivers->Network Device Support->PPP PointToPoint Protocol support->PPP support for async serial ports
The other one I think is
Linux Kernel Configuration->Security->File Posix Capabilities
not 100% sure, it might not even be required for that version of kernel

Thanks!!!