Purpose?

After evaluating a few of these WiFi modules, I have to ask…

What is the purpose? Is it just be able to have a point to point connection between the two modules over a WiFi network? I cannot seem to be able to send/receive data to just one module via a PC over a TCP/IP connection. There is no local UI on the modules either so connecting to a specific module via the internet/ethernet is out of the question. So what was the driving force behind the development of this particular product?

…or am I missing something that is/isn’t in the manual?

Thanks,
Mike

Adhoc network is not supported on Xbee Wi-Fi.

These modules can be used in the wireless sensor network over IP connectivity, provided it is connecting directly to the WI-FI access point.

A two node ad hoc network IS supported by the XBee Wi-Fi. See page 26 of the user manual: http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90002124_C.pdf

Point to point through the ad hoc network, perhaps as a high speed link is definitely one option.

You should be able to get the XBee to send/receive data to a PC but it does require configuring a number of parameters (see page 59 for an idea of some of these). By getting these configured you should be able to get the module working so it will be able to send serial data sent to it out through the network to the destination host.

If you have library/use API mode for the module you can get a bit more power and send/receive data from multiple destinations easily.

If you take a glance through the user manual they do a pretty good job of running through a number of these use cases.

Chris

You should be able to get the XBee to send/receive data to a PC but it does require configuring a number of parameters (see page 59 for an idea of some of these). By getting these configured you should be able to get the module working so it will be able to send serial data sent to it out through the network to the destination host.
Chris

Okay, so how would you do this on the PC side, my scenario:

• Connect directly to the PC (ad-hoc) through the PC’s Wi-Fi.
  • Emulate a COM port on the PC. My software was based on a XStick and a XBee 802.15.4, now I want to replace all of this with Wi-Fi.