Sample scripts to demonstrate the API for AnywhereUSB

Hi,
I have a customer that’s purchasing the AnywhereUSB/14 to manage software dongles for their new VDI solution. I’ve been looking into how I can dynamically map ports when the virtual machine starts up (or user logs on). Do you have example scripts that demonstrate the use of the API as the documentation is quite limiting?
Cheers,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I’m not sure what you mean by dynamically map the ports. Could you please provide an example of what your customer wants to do, exactly?

Dynamically map simply means grab an unused port (dongle) on the fly rather than hard coding each machine to a specific port (dongle).

Cheers,
Jeremy

OK, I better understand what you’re asking now. Let me look into this for you.

Awesome. Without have the hardware test test this theory, I assume another option is that I can create a group of ports and just point my workstations at that group, with the AnywhereUSB driver doing the rest? ie. grabbing an available port. But then again, what happens when there are no available ports? Hence the reason why I want to script it. That way I can create an application launch wrapper script that can feed this information back to the user. Then they’ll know there are no current license dongles available.

How many virtual machines would there be, and how many USB devices? Would the USB devices be identical, or a mixture of devices?

There will be many virtual machines, but not all applications require licensing dongles. There will be a mixture of devices (dongles) across multiple AnywhereUSB/14 devices. Hence the reason why grabbing a free port from a group when the application launches would be an awesome solution.

I should be able to put in a feature request for you that will improve the AWUSB API such that you can see what Group numbers are currently being used or not (analogous to looking in the far right column of the GUI AWUSB Config Util, and seeing which Groups are Available vs. Unavailable). I’m not sure if that is ultimately what you’re looking for, but I think it’s at least a start in the right direction. What do you think?

Well, any automation would be great, but may aim is complete automation. The ability to run a logon script and “check out” an available dongle for a given vendor ID and product ID is the ultimate solution. If there are no available dongles I can then output a message to the screen with information for the user.

A Dongle Server by SEH Technology can handle all that I’m looking for: http://www.seh-technology.com/products/dongleserver.html

Cheers,
Jeremy