Selective association

Hello,

I’m working on a project relies on a sort of plug’n’play network with the following characteristics:
End devices at the startup don’t know the channel and the PAN ID of the network.
To built-up the network or add an end device to an existent network, the serial number of the end devices must be entered on the host hosting the coordinator, only if the end device has a serial number on the list, its association request should be accepted.
According to the XBee Pro documentation there is no way to filter the association request on that base so the only solution I can imagine is:
End device issues an Active Scan collecting a list of PANs and associated channels.
End device tries to associate to the best (according to documentation) PAN.
If association results successful, the end device sends a custom message asking for “serial number association”.
The results from the custom message could be:
The coordinator accepts the “serial number association” and replies with a custom message confirm it.
The coordinator refuses the “serial number association” because the end device is not on the list and the coordinator declares it with a deny message.
The coordinator isn’t part of that kind of network so it doesn’t reply to the custom message.
In the case the association or “serial number association” fail, the end device tries to associate with another network on the list.
This protocol is driven by the microcontrollers hosting the XBees, I don’t want to customize the Xbee firmware.
Any alternatives?

Max

The application messaging approach you described sounds good.

In 802.15.4 firmware, you can disable joining on a coordinator if it is not expecting any new joins. End devices would recognize if joining is not enabled and skip any PANs that are not allowing joining. Joining can be enabled/disabled on a coordinator using the A2 command.

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion!

Max