Tranmitting serial data on website?

Project aim: To transmit serial data from DigiConnect ME to my website (www.anup.mobstop.com).

Questions:
1)How do I configure the Digi device to connect with the remote server (69.90.210.73) on which my website is hosted? Should I connect using TCP sockets or RealPort?

2)How should I receive the data on my website or How do I know that the data has arrived on my website? Is this possible through CGI, PHP, scripting,etc.

3)Can I save the serial data as a file on digi server & then transmit the file using FTP protocol?( I have done this successfully with Visual Basic.)

4)Please show me how to implement the above method for Digi Server if possible.

Thank you

I haven’t done this but here are some ideas:

>1)How do I configure the Digi device to connect with the remote server (69.90.210.73) on which my website is hosted?

From the dev kit, develop a sockets client on the Digi that connects with your server (the web site).

>2)How should I receive the data on my website or How do I know that the data has arrived on my website? Is this possible through CGI, PHP, scripting,etc.

If you are a full internet server, then just create a daemon service to receive the data from the digi sockets client.

If not, then you have to format the data in a form and trick the site.

>3)Can I save the serial data as a file on digi server & then transmit the file using FTP protocol?( I have done this successfully with Visual Basic.)

Why not? I wouldn’t save it in a file though since the FLASH would wear out, but just as a big array in memory. Use an ftp client to send the array (it will be saved as a file on the other end). The key will be having a daemon on the other end that recognizes that the file has arrived.

-Erik

Mr. Erik,

I really appreciate for the prompt & detailed reply from you.

But I do not have a dev kit,I am only using the digi ConnectME module. I have just used the settings(custom interface) on the digi server to connect to the remote server(69.90.120.73) & now the “connections” link shows me that I have 2 connections, one from my pc and the other of the remote server.

I assumed that the digi server outputs the serial data as HTTP POST with the data formatted as FORM DATA. Am I correct?

I only need to receive this data on my website on the remote server. I am a novice in Networking stuff. so if possible can you please give me some additional details on how to capture data and display it on my website.

Thanks again

Unfortunately I have never used the non-dev kit on the ME. I would assume that since it is Web based that it would do an HTTP POST. If so, you can collect data by establishing a CGI on your site that takes form data that the ME would then pump to it. If you want to develop your own CGI script I can send you a skeleton written in C that is easily adaptable, otherwise you may want to try PHP or Perl (I always use C).

What you may want to do is pick up a copy of “TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1” by Stevens (Addison-Wesley press). It is a very well written book and is one of the primary reference books for network developers. There is a lot more to the Internet than just Web posts.

-Erik