VMWare Linux + Windows 7 + USB to RS232 Conversion

I am running DigiESP Linux on a VM with a Windows 7 x64 host.

It appears I need a RS232 link to talk to the MX51 but I don’t have any RS232 ports on my machine.

A USB to RS232 converter seems to be what I need but it seems like not all converters have drivers that work on every combination of system.

Has anyone used the MX51 board with a similar configuration and can you tell me what brand/model of USB to RS232 converter you used?

You need to get a USB-RS232 converter which works well in Windows 7 x64 PC. Thats all you need. Then in VM configuration (turn off VM) add a new serial port (if you have printer enabled by default remove it as it may get conflicted with serial port.). In serial port details select it to choose the new COM port which is listed after adding USB-RS232 converter.

If you have added serial port as Serial Port 1 in VM, then you can access serial port in Kubuntu 10.04.1 as /dev/ttyS1

Dig has a industry proven product called Edgeport which is essentially USB-RS232 converter, if you are interested.
http://www.digi.com/products/usb/edgeport#overview

I need but it seems like not all converters have drivers that work on every combination of system.???

logo maker

VMware Workstation 4 provides a two-port USB 1.1 controller. You can use up to two USB devices in your virtual machine if both your host operating system and your guest operating system support USB. If your host computer supports USB 2.0 devices, you can use those devices in the virtual machine.

if you want to get any school management system software os visit our website.