Xbee RS232 lagging

I have put together a simple wireless serial console device for use with switches, routers, etc. It consists of an X-Stick USB device (coordinator AT) on my laptop and an XBee series 2 module (router AT) combined with an ICL3232 RS232 chip on the router end. Both running at 9600 bps. This is working but I get intermittent lag and slow response. I suspect interference. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

Have you configured DH and DL parameters for unicast addressing? I’m suspecting may be you are broadcasting data from transmitter on address 0xFFFF.

If your goal is not to transmit data to everyone in network, then switch to unicast addressing and it should improve results.

I have done this. The setup works most of the time, but this lagging is intermittent and isn’t related to range - it comes and goes. I’m really looking for advice on how to troubleshoot it. I’m not really sure where to start…

Have you changed the radios addressing values on either radio? I ask as the default value for the Coordinator is Broadcast mode which does introduce additional latency which could be what you are seeing.

I have changed the DH and DL on the coordinator to point to the router and vice versa. Is there something else I need to do?

I would also suggest setting the NH and BH values to 1 since you only have two nodes.