XBee S2C not communicating with Arduino

Thought I entered a question yesterday… was very lengthy with my description, but I don’t see it here. So, here we go again!

I’ve 2 S2C modules. Communication works flawlessly when both are connected to XTCU. However, when Coordinator is connected to X-CTU End Module is connected to Arduino Uno there is no communication… I’ve checked the RX/TX pins using an oscilloscope. I’ve a ICStation model USB board that the Xbee plugs into. I also have used a Sparkfun model as well (not a USB, but a board with a regulator that also accepts the Xbee). Neither work… all typical Arduino / Xbee code samples fail. What am I missing?

Both boards you are using are NOT designed to connect and XBee to an Arduino. Try getting an Arduino shield instead.

Thank you very much for your response. Please provide me with a Digi recommended shield for which I can Connect an Xbee configured as a coordinator to an atmel 382p chip and the end unit to a ATTiny85 and have successful communication. My design requires space and power considerations and therefore am not using an Arduino Uno (though it would be nice to test using the Arduino Uno first… then port it to the final PCBs with mentioned microprocessors installed.

The support forum is customer helping customer. while I don’t work for Digi, I would suggest sparkfun electronics or Adafruit. Both offer hobbyist level shields for both.

This is not correct. After much research and testing, I’ve been largely successful using the Sparkfun WRL11373 and also Parallax 32401 and 32302 shields. The standard response of using an xBib is not acceptable when attempting to build a device that will not incorporate a full arduino Uno (I.e. full size shield that snaps onto an Arduino). I’m sorry to say that I had to spend several weeks completely on my own to find the issue as Digi did not readily analyze the problem and provide a solution.

To all those that seek the answer to the question “How can I use my xBee Pro Series 2” in a shield other than a full size shield and successfully communicate via the DIn and DOut ports of that shield?.. Read the notes below

1. xBee Pro Series 2 has both a FreeScale and Ember processor on board. Its my understanding that FreeScale allows users to develop code for embedded systems on board the xBee and Ember is the processor that is responsible for managing communications and in particular, communications via RX/TX (Din and Dout)
  2. If you wish to use your Series 2 Programmable like a non programmable unit (i.e. take advantage of better signal propagation) but don’t have the need to develop an embedded system on the xBee (via tools like code warrior) then you must BYPASS the FreeScale chip.
    Digi will provide information on how to accomplish this… however in simplistic form, connect your xBee to a USB (or Serial port) and use a terminal emulator (such as RealTerm). Make sure your baud rates are set appropriately and send “+++” to the unit (with no CR/LF). If it does not respond, send a " " with a CR/LF, you should see the Freescale Menu with an option to “Bypass”. Enter a “B”, and you will be placed into ByPass mode where you’ll be able to send and receive messages from other modules. (As a note, for this test, its best to have the modules pre configured in Transparent Mode so that you will not have to develop correctly formatted packet.) Hope this puts folks on the right track! Regards!

For the number 1 listed, that would indicated that you purchased the PROGRAMMABLE versions and not the Standard version of the S2 hardware. If you purchase the programmable versions by accident, you will need to either enter bypass mode as listed above each and every time or you will need to load the transparent app onto the freescale processor via a bdm programmer.

Hello, is it possible to placed into ByPass mode using XCTU software? thanks!