XBee ZB End Device

Hello there!

I have 3 XBee modules from Digi (ZB S2, wire antenna), set in 3 Arduino boards: one coordinator, one router and one end device. Each module was configured using the old X-CTU, as API mode, and my simple project is to send some bytes (only 6 bytes) from router/end to coordinator when its button is pressed.

Everything is working fine, except for the end device. Even when it’s close to the coordinator, after some idle period, when I press the button the bytes didn’t arrive at coordinator. Looks like the end device is leaving the network after a period of inactivity. Replacing this module with a router one, this doesn’t happen!

Am I missing any configuration in end device?

Thanks in advance! :wink:

Hello again!

Well, I found the Sleep Mode in X-CTU (SM = 4 Cyclic sleep). I’ve tried to change it to 0, but when I read it again, 4 option comes back (??). So I’ve tried to set as 1 (pin) and after a write, I’ve lost all communication with the module! Even “Test/query” button isn’t working anymore…

In fact, after I set this module to end device, all read/write operations are very difficult to complete at first try. And now this…

Is there anything I can do?

Everything is working fine, except for the end device. Even when it’s close to the coordinator, after some idle period, when I press the button the bytes didn’t arrive at coordinator. Looks like the end device is leaving the network after a period of inactivity. Replacing this module with a router one, this doesn’t happen!

aliiii

The function of an End device is to sleep and not rout data. It must wake and send its data to its Parent node. If the End device is Roaming, then it needs to re-associate before it can send the data. That requires the end device to fail communicating with its parent 3 times before it will try to re-associate.

In your case where you really don’t want the end device to sleep, it is best to use the Router functionality instead.

Hello mvut, thanks for your feedback!

You are right… I’m missing that in sleep mode, even UART stops! Now everything is alright!

Thanks again!