200 kbps Point-to-Multipoint with Digimesh

Hello,

I am having a hard time determining the differences between the XBee-PRO 900HP DP (Point-to-Multipoint 10 kbps firmware) and the XBee-PRO 900HP DM (DigiMesh 200 kbps firmware).

I currently am using the DP 10kbps version, but am having some throughput issues. Can I program the Digimesh 200 kbps version of the module to act as a point-to-multipoint device (Transmit Option set to 0x40) and get a higher throughput? Or can I only get 10 kbps for TO 0x40 even if I have a 200 kbps module?

Thanks,
Gabe

The 10K code is a lower data rate and a low throughput. It also has a longer range.

Thanks, mvut. Can you please answer my specific question: Can I configure the Digimesh 200 kbps version of the module to Transmit Option 0x40 and be able to get higher throughput than the 10 kbps version with TO = 0x40?

Sorry I missed that question. Yes, if you use it in point to point mode, you can get a higher throughput using the 200K code.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for your quick responses.

Gabe

@gabe_dbv , I asked that AI Assistant link at the top of the page your question, and this is the information it provided:

Q: What are the differences between the XBee-PRO 900HP DP (Point-to-Multipoint 10 kbps firmware) and the XBee-PRO 900HP DM (DigiMesh 200 kbps firmware)?

A: The XBee-PRO 900HP DP (Point-to-Multipoint 10 kbps firmware) and the XBee-PRO 900HP DM (DigiMesh 200 kbps firmware) differ primarily in their networking methods, data throughput, and intended use cases:

1. Networking Method:
  • DP (Point-to-Multipoint): This configuration is designed for point-to-multipoint communication, where a single device communicates with multiple devices. It is suitable for applications where a central node needs to communicate with several remote nodes.
  • DM (DigiMesh): This configuration uses DigiMesh networking, which allows for mesh networking capabilities. All devices in the network can communicate with each other, providing redundancy and reliability through self-healing mesh networks.
  1. Data Throughput:
  • DP (10 kbps firmware): Offers a lower data rate of 10 kbps, which is suitable for applications that require long-range communication with low data throughput.
  • DM (200 kbps firmware): Provides a higher data rate of 200 kbps, making it suitable for applications that require faster data transmission.
  1. Use Cases:
  • DP: Ideal for simple sensor networks or control systems where a central node collects data from or sends commands to multiple remote nodes.
  • DM: Suitable for complex networks where devices need to communicate with each other directly, such as in industrial automation or smart grid applications.
  1. Antenna Options:
  • Both configurations offer various antenna options such as Wire Antenna, RPSMA, and U.FL connectors, allowing flexibility in deployment based on environmental conditions and range requirements.

These differences make each configuration suitable for different types of applications depending on the network topology and data requirements.

Sources

@mvut : Do you think the AI Assistant gave a good answer?

Hi Michael,

I did this as well, but the one thing missing from the AI bot is whether or not you can us a DM in a point-to-multipoint configuration. In other words, the DP use case matches what we are doing, but we’d like to use the DM’s higher throughput ability.

Gabe

Gabe,

Both DM and DP versions support Point to point and Point to multi-point addressing. To send a packet via Point to multi-point, set the DL and DH on the Multi-point base to the Broadcast address of 0xFFFF and the TO command to a value of 0x40. On the remote modules, set the DL and DH to the SL and SH of the Multi-point base and set the TO to the value of 0x40.