anywhereUSB device on remote subnet not found

I installed an AnywhereUSB and configured it using DHCP via a host on the local subnet. I then tried to connect to this device from a server on a different subnet but do not see it. I went into the discovery list added the network, still not seeing the device. I then went into the connection list and entered the IP address of the remote AnywhereUSB and was prompted to install drivers, but do not see it in the AnywhereUSB console. The drivers are present in the device manager. Any help is appreciated.

Most likely, a software firewall is blocking the UDP port 3422 that the AnywhereUSB uses for discovery, i.e. Windows Firewall, if you’re running Windows XP with Service Pack 2, or a 3rd-party firewall.

Note that discovery isn’t necessary to connect to an AnywhereUSB, like you noticed by manually adding the IP of the AnywhereUSB in the Connection List.

All software firewalls are turned off. When I attach a usb device to the AnywhereUSB, I get the “new device found” wizard. After allowing the device to be installed, I get the install successful message, but am unable to access the device, meaning I tried to install a USB thumb drive but do not see the drive show in My Comoputer.

Verify that you’ve installed all 5 of the AnywhereUSB drivers by looking at the front panel of the AnywhereUSB. The 5 port LEDs should be solid green.

If not, let me know what the LED activity is, and I’ll help you get it installed. Otherwise (if they are all solid green):

Most likely, the drive letter of your flash drive is conflicting with a mapped network drive. Right-click on My Computer and go to Manage, then click on Disk Management. Do you see the flash drive on the bottom-right? If so, try changing its drive letter by right-clicking on it (the long rectangle portion that shows the drive letter) then clicking “Change Drive Letter…”.

All 5 lights are green and it appears I can access the USB devices on the computer I need, however, the AnywhereUSB device on the different subnet still is not showing in the console. How can I get this remote device to show in the console? Is this anything to be concerned about?

If you’re unable to discover the AnywhereUSB, this will not affect the useage of the AnywhereUSB or attached devices.

If you’d like to continue troubleshooting the why discovery mechanism isn’t working:

1. Try adding the IP address of the AnywhereUSB in the discovery list (instead of the subnet that it’s on).

2. Research if the firewall or router that’s between the Host PC and AnywhereUSB blocks subnet broadcasts. If so, that’s the problem, because it’s a requirement of the AnywhereUSB.