AnywhereUSB in WinXP guest on ESX - yellow exclamation marks

I try to install the AnywhereUSB drivers on a WinXP SP2 guest system running on VMware ESX3.0.1 server (though - the guest is a converted installation, originally installed on VMware server). The usbd.sys file is in place.

After connecting to the AnywhereUSB device, the Hardware Installation Wizard fires up for the first time, I choose “Install the software automatically (Recommended)” and the first wizard finishes with a success message.

From the second wizard on they finish with an error message: Cannot start the hardware. Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

In Device Manager the two AnywhereUSB Host Controllers are listed with the yellow exclamation marks. “Update driver” doesn’t work (same error remains). Reinstallation of the driver and utility didn’t change anything… :frowning:

Are you certain you renamed the file from “usbd.sy_” (on the CD) to “usbd.sys”, after pasting it to the hard drive?

Are you certain “usbd.sys” is in “c:\windows\system32\drivers”?

Did you reboot the virtual machine after pasting usbd.sys?

Uh, somehow embarrassing… the usbd.sys isn’t there, although I could swear I saw it! :-\