Cannot Ping / Telnet / RCI WiME Module

I am supporting an old product from 2005-2006. Our process from that era to configure the WiME device is no longer working, so I seek guidance on updating it.

Our old process was:

1. Create an Ad-Hoc network with SSID “Connect”.
  2. Power the WiME module with RESET tied low.
  3. Once the device connected, use DigiWirelessDiscovery to find its IP address.
  4. Configure settings using RCI scripts and reboot.

I have already discovered (from reading release notes) that the WiME will only connect to “Connect” access points. I can see the device with DigiWirelessDiscovery, but I cannot connect to the provided IP address in any way. I’ve tried:

RCI
ping
telnet
https
ftp
DigiWirelessDiscovery built-in configuration

Please help.

Is it just one device, or multiple devices with the same issue? Do you have devices that work as expected? Try using AP with normal wifi, and no encryption.
Network name: The name of the wireless network to which the wireless device should
connect. In situations with multiple wireless networks, this setting allows the device to
connect to and associate with a specific network. The network name is the SSID (service set
identifier). If the network name remains blank, the device will search for wireless networks
and connect to the first available network. This is useful when you do not need to use a specific
network name as the device will select the first available network.
I do not think AdHoc is a valid option.

Is it just one device, or multiple devices with the same issue? Do you have devices that work as expected? Try using AP with normal wifi, and no encryption.
Network name: The name of the wireless network to which the wireless device should
connect. In situations with multiple wireless networks, this setting allows the device to
connect to and associate with a specific network. The network name is the SSID (service set
identifier). If the network name remains blank, the device will search for wireless networks
and connect to the first available network. This is useful when you do not need to use a specific
network name as the device will select the first available network.
I do not think AdHoc is a valid option.

Leonid,

Thank you for your response.

> Is it just one device, or multiple devices with the same issue?

It is just this one device at this time.

> Do you have devices that work as expected?

As I mentioned, we’ve been supporting this product for 13 years. However, the original WiME devices had very different firmware. Apparently, backward compatibility was not a priority in the WiME firmware development. I can deal with that, but I need a migration path.

> Try using AP with normal wifi, and no encryption.

That is what I have. I can see the device with DigiWirelessDiscovery, but that is it.