Cisco 3020 HP Blade switch console connetcion

Hi all,

as documented in questions before, we us a straight trough CAT V cable for the connetcion of the Cisco RJ45 console port to our Digi CM 16 console server. We can connect to the consoles via telnet but the output is echoed. We receive i.g. two shell prompts, the password request is displayed twice and the password input itself will show the plain text password, a “show running-config” command will display a few lines, only.
The same behaivior we have with the serial console of an Itanium server connected via the digi DB9 to RJ45 adaptor and a CAT V cable.
The same configuration as for the Itanium server works fine with a Alpha server.

Any help is appriciated.

What Telnet client are you using?

http://knowledge.digi.com/articles/Knowledge_Base_Article/Extra-Carriage-Return-or-Line-Feed-When-Using-PuTTY

http://knowledge.digi.com/articles/Knowledge_Base_Article/Microsoft-Telnet-with-PortServer-results-in-Double-Carriage-Return-Line-Feed-CR-LF-and-Failure-to-Login

I use telent from three systems:

HP OpenMVS last TCPIP stack
Debain Wheezy terminal
MacOS latest Version terminal

It doesn’t look like an additional CR/LF. With an additional CR/LF the password isn’t shown as plain text and also the behavior should be the same with the Alpha Server (DEC DS10).
Before, we used a DECserver 700 for console managment and didn’t have this kind of problems. Therefor I assume it’s not a problem with telnet.

meanwhile I’ve tested with putty as documented also. The result is:

Putty connection type RAW Auto wrap mode initially on

cs>
cs>

cs>
cs>

cs>
cs>enable
enable
Password:
Password: should be hidden

Debian telnet results:

telnet digicm port
Trying server…
Connected to digicm
Escape character is ‘^]’.

cs>
cs>

cs>
cs>

cs>
cs>enable
enable
Password:
Password: should be hidden

Before upgrading to Cisco IOS Release 12.2(58)SE1, if Enclosure Bay IP Addressing (EBIPA) is in use, the HP Onboard Administrator (OA) must be upgraded to Firmware version 3.55. Otherwise the HP OA will fail to assign an IP address to the Cisco Catalyst Blade Switch CBS3020 module.