Configure through serial port?

Ran into a nasty situation during some testing this weekend. I powered up the Wi-SP and saw the green light go solid. Turns out that I have a neighbor with an open AP, and it was connecting to the neighbor’s AP instead of mine. Needless to say, this left me with no access to the Digi, so I could not reconfigure. I came up with a workaround involving metal cans, but that’s not something I can use in the field.

What’s the procedure to configure the Wi-SP if you don’t have wireless access? I tried defaulting it, sending escapes, hitting return, etc. but I never got a prompt out of the serial port.

It is fairly easy to get into the “dialog menu” of the device.

1. Use a standard serial cable (not a crossover) to connect the WI-SP to your PC.
  2. Open the Digi ESP, select the “Serial COM1” window.
  3. Select the Properties menu and verify the following settings. Click “APPLY” and then “OK”.
    COM1
    NONE
  4. Select the Connect menu. This will open a serial connection and display the following:

Serial port connected.

Port Name: COM1
Baud Rate: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Parity: 0

1. Power up the WI-SP module. In a few seconds, the module will output the following message:

NET+OS Version 7.4.2
Copyright (c) 1997-2008, Digi International, Inc.

PLATFORM: connectsp_esp 4M/16M [Jul 20 2009 11:19:13]
APPLICATION: iNM Project [Jul 20 2009 11:21:48]

NETWORK INTERFACE PARAMETERS:
IP address on LAN is 10.10.0.125
LAN interface’s subnet mask is 255.255.252.0
IP address of default gateway to other networks is 10.10.1.1
IPv6 static address on LAN is :: prefixlen 64
HARDWARE PARAMETERS:
Serial channels will use a baud rate of 9600
This board’s serial number is N99999999
This board’s Ethernet MAC Address is 00:40:9D:24:CB:29
After board is reset, start-up code will wait 5 seconds
Default duplex setting for Ethernet connection: default

Press any key in 5 seconds to change these settings.

1. Now type “m”, enter the password (either “password” or “netSilicon”).

Press A to Accept the settings, or M to Modify?m

Enter the root password: ********

Reset configuration to default values [N]?

For each of the following questions, you can press to select the value shown in braces, or you can enter a new value.

ETHERNET INTERFACE SETTINGS:

Obtain IP settings automatically using DHCP for Ethernet interface [N]?
IP address [10.10.0.125]?
Subnet mask [255.255.252.0]?
Gateway address [10.10.1.1]?

Enable DHCPv6 for the Ethernet interface [N]?

Enable static IPv6 for the Ethernet interface [Y]? n

This interface must have a unique MAC address.
Ethernet MAC Address [00:40:9D:24:CB:29]?
Ethernet duplex setting (default, full, half)? [default]

SERIAL CONSOLE PORT SETTINGS:

Set the baud rate of the serial console port [9600]?
9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200

SECURITY SETTINGS:

Would you like to update the Root Password [N]?
Would you like to update the Administrator ‘admin’ Password [N]?

MISCELLANEOUS SETTINGS:

Each development board must have a unique serial number
Set the board’s serial number[N99999999]?

How long (in seconds) should CPU delay before starting up [5]?

Saving the changes in NV memory…Done.

I hope this is what you were looking for. If not, let me know more details about what you want to be doing.

> I hope this is what you were looking for. If not,
> let me know more details about what you want to be
> doing.

It’s been over 3 years, so I don’t remember what prompted the original query. I think it was back before the book mentioned that the CLI could be activated by the DIP switches.

The output you’ve shown doesn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen from a Wi-SP with the stock plug-n-play firmware.

The WI-SP units come in several flavors. I didn’t realize you have a Plug-n-Play (NDS) unit. I was referring to a “Custom” NET+OS unit, thus the reason for the unrecognizable output from my serial port.

newell - push all the dip switches next to the serial port away from the serial port and you can get into the command line interface through the serial port at 9600/8/n/1 no flow.

You can also reset the unit to factory defaults (it will try to connect to an AP with an SSID of ‘Connect’ - case sensitive) by powering off the unit, pressing and holding the itty bitty reset button next to the dip switches (there’s basically a small hole just big enough for a pen’s head), and then powering on the module. Wait until you see the activity LED blink in a 1-5-1 blink code, and then it’s back to defaults.

I am referring to a “custom” NET + OS unit, and thus do not recognize the reasons of the serial output.