Digi Connect WiSP - can make easier to to connect to domains?

Moved from Indutrial Forum)

Posted: Feb 27, 2007 2:36 PM

> 100% agreed - I’ve had bad luck trying to setup the
> WiSP … but then to make matters worse I need to
> have it authenticate to Digi’s corporate IT system
> (ie: Windows domains etc).

Is there any hope for fixing this WiSP configuration drawback? I’d complain, but if someone such as yourself on the inside has already identified it as a weakness, what more could I add? (We’re about to pull the trigger on a 25 pack, and I’d sure feel more comfortable knowing that I can configure the suckers without pulling hair.)

BTW, which forum is appropriate for WiSP discussion? I’ve got a few questions/ideas I’d like to bounce around.

thanks!
newell

Well, I think the first step is to define a “better” way - you know how engineers are … complain the new Gizmo is bright orange, don’t give suggestions so they just make it bright pink instead!

Maybe write up a few “user cases” - how would YOU like to configure the unit? What if a nice serial tool existed, or even ran PPP over the serial port in “config mode” so coudl run web page via serial … I don’t know. Just ideas; just talking.

I don’t really use WiSP enough to be able to offer suggestions. Maybe other people can offer.

best regards

• Lynn

> Well, I think the first step is to define a “better”
> way - you know how engineers are … complain the new
> Gizmo is bright orange, don’t give suggestions so
> they just make it bright pink instead!

Nevermind. I just grabbed the latest docs and there it is–command line interface over the serial port. Either it wasn’t in the older docs or I just missed it when scanning through the config options. (Probably the latter.)

Yah, real old docs won’t have … the idea of the special DIP switch settings to enable the “term mode” wasn’t in the very first product nor docs, but not sure when it showed up.

See how easy you find the command line … because now that I mentioned PPP, it seems like kind of a cool idea. If the WiSP had PPP available … to be able to just “browse” to the WiSP’s web page at 115kbps isn’t unrealistic. We could also put in as a “Change Request” and see if product management likes the idea.

• Lynn

> Yah, real old docs won’t have … the idea of the
> special DIP switch settings to enable the “term mode”
> wasn’t in the very first product nor docs, but not
> sure when it showed up.

Well, whenever it appeared, it’s exactly what I had in mind.

> See how easy you find the command line … because
> now that I mentioned PPP, it seems like kind of a
> cool idea. If the WiSP had PPP available … to be
> able to just “browse” to the WiSP’s web page at
> 115kbps isn’t unrealistic. We could also put in as a

I think it’s a great idea, especially if you already have the bits in place in your library.

I’ve often considered a SLIP or PPP option in my device’s firmware, but backed away when I realized it would mean walking end-users through configuring windows to add the connection.

newell

Actually, if your device accommodates Windows PPP it is pretty easy - may need to also fake the ATDT-conversation. Windows defaults to somewhat esoteric “defaults” compared to Unix/Linux, so trying to force Windows to do it “your way” is harder to explain to your customers than just enabling your device to adjust to the Windows way.

Since Digi puts out the TS1M/TS3M with built in PPP+modem for remote IP connections, I frequently deal with having Windows “dialup” to us - works well with newer 2K and XP.

Was a challenge though - at one time this code was written by a senior *NIX-biased programmer who had the opinion “if it’s not in the RFC, we don’t have to do it”. But fortunately we eventually had enough maintainers come along who understand the RFC-way and Windows-way don’t have to be mutually exclusive.