Digi One SP: no command line?

I’m sure this topic looks really silly, but it’s true–I can’t get the command line to come up on my brand-new Digi One SP. I know the serial connection needs to be 9600-baud, no parity, 8 character bits and 1 stop bit, with VT100 terminal emulation. I’ve checked the cord I’m using, and it works fine with a different device server. I’ve got the dip switches set up for EIA-232, like I need them to be. And with all of that, HyperTerminal refuses to give me anything–no prompt, no response to [enter], or any other key for that matter; the only thing I get is a frozen HyperTerminal occasionally. It was more responsive when I had the power disconnected–at least then I got some garbage characters back :S

Is there anything else I should be doing, or is this a sign of a busted box? I really didn’t want to assume the device server was malfunctioning on its first run, but I’m seeing little in the way of options. If anyone knows what I should be doing about this, please let me know. Thank you very much!

Hi Ryan

I encountered the same problem as you
my serial connection set to be 9600-baud, no parity, 8 character bits and 1 stop bit, with VT100 terminal emulation.

Neither connect RJ45-DB9 nor RJ45-DB25 between PC and Port 1 on port serverII, just like you said HyperTerminal refuses to give me anything–no prompt, no response to [enter], or any other key for that matter;

Did you get the solution?
Any one technician in Digi could answer this question?
Please support!

The default profile on a Digi One SP is set for device type printer. To see the command-line over the serial port, you’ll need to first discover it on the network with the Device Discovery Utility, then change the serial device profile to terminal. Once the Digi One SP is rebooted your command-line will appear.

The Device Discovery Utility (windows version) can be found here:
http://www.digi.com/support/productdetl.jsp?pid=1925&osvid=56&tp=4&s=11

Thanks for your reply,
Have installed and run Device Discovery Utility, but it just could not discover the device (Port Server II 16); Do you know why it just can not be discovered?
I have also tried to set Port Server to Factory default by hold down
arrow in front panel

Any other method I could use?
PS.: Should I also install the CD(Driver and Software), Driver also requires IP, So I could not install it.

This is true, because the Digi Discovery Tool doesn’t work with the Portserver II. My reply was to the originator of the thread who had a Digi One SP, which does work with the Discovery Tool.

My suggestion would be to start a seperate thread concerning the Portserver II to avoid confusing the issue more.