Connection problems with XBee-PRO 868 Dev Kits (XBee PRO 5S and XBIB-U-DEV)

I’m not sure if I at the right place to ask this question…

I have two problems with my two XBee-PRO 868 Dev Kits containing XBIB-U-Dev boards and XBee PRO 5S 868 MHz modules. So I have four USB boards and four XBee 5S modules.

1. They are very moody: Sometimes I can connect and enter AP commands but most of the time they are even not showing up in Linux or Windows.
  2. I can’t connect two modules. Even though I chose one as the coordinator and for both the same PAN ID.This should be enough right?

But one after the other: When I first connected the USB board (with the plugged in 5S module) in Windows, they were not recognised and the driver wasn’t loaded. So I tried it with Linux where they showed up as /dev/ttyUSB0. I could talk to them with minicom and read/write AP commands.

When I couldn’t connect, I thought I’d try Windows again and installed the Vista drivers. Which solved the problem and I could connect. On two of the boards I installed the newest firmware (in X-CTU: download newest from Internet).

Now I have boards that sometimes

• show up as ttyUSB0 (Linux) or as USB Serial Port COM7 (Windows). On the USB module D55, all of the DS6 LEDs and the red LED of DS1 are permanently on (no matter if there are other modules powered). But can’t enter the command mode by pressing +++ in minicom or by connecting with X-CTU. I have never changed the baudrates so the standard should still be 9600 8N1?
  • don’t show up in Linux or Windows. The five LEDs as above are on. I can’t connect using minicom or X-CTU.
  • show up as ttyUSB0 (Linux) and I can read/write AT commands. DS5 LED is always on and the red LED of DS1 is blinking at about 2 Hz. Windows tells me the device is not recognized.

Could the firmware upgrade have gone wrong and broken my modules?
And can I reset them to the factory default?

Any help is very much appreciated.

This guide will reset your radios: http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl?id=3402#XBee

You may want to first follow this guide to optimize USB settings: http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl?id=3418

Thanks for your answer, Jeremy.

Unfortunately this didn’t help since I can’t communicate with most of the devices.

The two wire modules are recognised by Windows and I have set the serial settings as suggested by the guide you linked.
But a Test / Query in X-CTU with the correct serial settings (9600 8N1) fails as well as a Reset or Read in the Modem Configuration tab.
In linux they show up as ttyUSB0 but they don’t react on sending +++.

One RPSMA module is not recognised by Windows and in Linux no ttyUSB0 shows up.

The second RPSMA module is also not recognised by Windows but in Linux ttyUSB0 shows up and AT mode can be entered by sending +++ which is answered by OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your answer, Jeremy.

Unfortunately this didn’t help since I can’t communicate with most of the devices.

The two wire modules are recognised by Windows and I have set the serial settings as suggested by the guide you linked.
But a Test / Query in X-CTU with the correct serial settings (9600 8N1) fails as well as a Reset or Read in the Modem Configuration tab.
In linux they show up as ttyUSB0 but they don’t react on sending +++.

One RPSMA module is not recognised by Windows and in Linux no ttyUSB0 shows up.

The second RPSMA module is also not recognised by Windows but in Linux ttyUSB0 shows up and AT mode can be entered by sending +++ which is answered by OK.

Any ideas?