Connection "stalls"

Hi,

I’ve just installed AnywhereUSB concentrator drivers 1.90 in a ESX 3.0.1 VM running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.

The installation of the drivers went fine and I was able to configure the device. But when I want to connect, it keeps saying that the status is: “Connection to this computer…” - but nothing more happens… I have tried to disconnect, reboot the device, power off/on the device but no change.

I have checked that this is the only device in connection list…

Please help! :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Best,
/Mattias

Open Device Manager and, most likely, you’ll see devices with the name “AnywhereUSB” that have yellow (!) or (?) icons. Right-click on each of these and choose “Update driver” from the menu, then follow the normal installation procedure (“Install the software automatically”). You should install a total of 5 devices:

1. AnywhereUSB Remote Hub
  2. AnywhereUSB Host Controller (2)
  3. AnywhereUSB Root Hub (2)

Thanks!

Almost there…

Now I have two “AnywhereUSB Host Controller” that are yellow. When I choose to update driver for these, the installation program says that it couldn’t find a better driver then the one already installed. But they keep being yellow…

In the configuration utility, I tried to connect again and now the utility says that it’s connected to this computer.

Best,
/Mattias S

The following workaround is required for installing an AnywhereUSB in a Virtual Machine:

1. Make sure Windows is configured to show file extensions. In My Computer, click “Tools / Folder Options” then click the “View” tab. Scroll down and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types” (unless it’s already unchecked) then click OK.

2. Search the Windows CD (that matches the OS of the Host PC) for a file called “usbd.sy_” (it should be in the i386 folder). For example, if the Host PC is running Windows 2003, then use a Windows 2003 CD.

3. Copy “usbd.sys_” and paste it in “c:\windows\system32\drivers” (or c:\winnt\system32\drivers for Windows 2000), then rename the file to “usbd.sys”. Be sure to paste it in the “drivers” folder, not just “system32”.

4. Open the AnywhereUSB Configuration Utility, click “View / Driver Information / Uninstall” and reboot the Virtual Machine when prompted.

5. After Windows loads, re-install the AnywhereUSB software and follow the normal installation procedure - you should go through a total of 5 found new hardware wizards, and the 5 port LEDs should be solid green once the AnywhereUSB is installed and connected to the Host PC.

Now it worked, thanks a lot!!

Best,
Mattias S