/dev/dg/epca/ttyD000 is not functioning

Hello, I’m trying to setup a terminal server on an old PC. Here is my environment:
pc/8e isa rs422, epca-1.56-1 compiled, installed and running, redhat 7.1 kernel 2.4.2-2.

All of the correct devices are in /dev/dg/epca/
to include: digiCtl, epcadl -> digiCtl, tprD000-7 and ttyD000 - 7.

I have a cisco router connected to p1 and a loopback conected to p2. Minicom says there “online” but I can’t get any data echoed back from either.

setserial /dev/dg/epca/ttyD000 autoconfig [or any other operation with it] always returns:
Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument

What is the next step in troubleshooting this?

TIA,
Tony

I’m experiencing the exact same issue on RedHat 7.1, Kernel 2.4.20-28.7, and using epca-1.56-1 on a 16-port XEM. Did you ever figure it out? Strange thing on this end is, we had a working system. One of the guys in our hardware department did something, no confessions yet, and it’s no longer working. I set the system up several years ago so my memory is rusty. Rechecked config, driver’s loading fine - no errors, etc. Ditty command works but setserial gives same error you got.

Verify that the devices are useable with command "ditty -a /dev/ttyD000. You should get a bunch of i/o output, rather than an error message saying “device temporarily unavailable”. If you get the output, check to see if -clocal is set. If it is, try setting clocal and test your application again. If you get the error message, there’s a problem loading your driver and that would be a good time to call Technical Support.

ditty -a /dev/dg/epca/ttyD000 and /dev/ttyD000 return

onstr \033[5i offstr \033[4i term ansi
maxcps 100 maxchar 50 bufsize 100
-forcedcd -altpin -fastbaud (9600)
-rtspace -dtrpace -ctspace -dsrpace -dcdpace
DTR+ RTS+ CTS- CD- DSR+ RI-
startc = 0x11 stopc = 0x13
-aixon astartc = 0x0 astopc = 0x0
spoll = 1
speed 9600 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = ; eol2 = ; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z;
rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
-opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt -echoctl -echoke

Thanks. Calling Tech Support
-Tony

Hi Tony:

Just to be sure, is the Cisco port RS-422 protocol also? An RS-422 serial adapter will not be able to communicate with an RS-232 port, just want to be sure there is no mixing of communication protocols.

One possibility that comes to mind about what might have been done is cabling. The EBI cable between an Xem Host Adapter card and the Ports/EM concentrator is an extension of your computer bus, and therefore “hot”. If this cable were moved/removed without powering down the server first it could have damaged card, concentrator, and/or server itself.

Other things to check with the server powered down would be to make sure the card is seated properly, all cables are secure, etc. With power on you can check /proc/pci or /proc/interrupts to see if Linux sees the card, i.e. is the server BIOS allocating resources to it.

If none of these things resolve the problem, best thing to do next would be to call Technical Support and open a ticket.

dosxx: /root # cat /proc/epca

EPCA Linux Driver epca-1.56-1, Digi part Number 40001450_S
NOTE: This driver is being loaded as a kernel module!

bd ty alt num base memory conc
nm pe desc pin ports address address inits

0 2 Acceleport Xem ISA OFF 16 0x104 0xd0000 N/A

I also downloaded the FREEDOS disk image and ran ud-risc. It fails on hardware timer test.

ERROR! Adapter’s hardware timer test failed. Host timeout. ERROR!

It appears the adapter is failing. Contact Digi if you would like to pursue repair arrangements.